Clear out!

Because they haven't got the high current notch on the socket moulding

Reply to
charles

Turn on. Plug in phones or amplifier. Choose track. No faff.

Tracks are indexed by album, artist, genre. Only thing missing is composer for classical music.

Reply to
Max Demian

Well, high current and high temperature. And the insulation etc. to match of course (although cheap Chinese ones might just have the notch!)

Reply to
Bob Eager

The 7V for a label printer is one that has caught me out before as well.

I repurposed a switch-mode 6V (IIRC) wall wart bought at a car boot sale and upped to 7.5V or so by changing a resistor (again IIRC). That worked OK ... but remember that the centre is also *negative* on those printers, gaaah

I also have about two crates too many wall warts...

J^n

Reply to
jkn

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Not quite that simple.

C13 (no notch, used for computers and the like) can be rated anything from (typically) 6A up to 10A.

C15 (notched, known as HOT SERVICE) is also 10A, but rated for higher temperatures.

So C15 guarantees high temperature and 10A, while C13 has no guarantees for temperature and is rated for the current listed on it - although it is often 10A just like the C15.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I love this group, the things you inadvertently start....

Reply to
R D S

Haha, that's about the size of it!

I took them all (full great big Lidl bag for life) to the tip yesterday forgetting it closes on Tuesdays but have since found a NAS storage drive, 2 network cameras and a rechargeable torch that have become separated from their power supplies so i'm going to have to go through them!

*None of which i've used in years and had forgotten I owned, but....
Reply to
R D S

+1 for classical , pain to stream from my ripped CDs as choosing by composer not reliable of an option.
Reply to
Robert

I remember the round ones with a metal spring contacting the metal of the kettle. And an ejector mechanism if it overheats.

Reply to
Max Demian

Yes, Swann kettles had them. All you needed to do was wait for the fusible alloy to harden and push the plug in to reset the trip.

Reply to
Fredxx

If your player has a "dir list" option (i.e. select by filename), you can include the composer in the filename, e.g. "Beethoven - Symphony No

9.mp3"
Reply to
Max Demian

I have a loft full of stuff kept ?just in case?. Every now and then delve into it and retrieve a bit off something to repair an item - either ours or for a family member / friend etc.

Nothing to do with saving money or being a tree hugger - I just like repairing things and don?t like waste.

Having said that, sometimes I struggle to find the XYZ I known is there, last seen 15 years ago ;-)

Reply to
Brian

Which player app do you use? The phone doesn't have a built-in one, so I use Pulsar which doesn't have a composer column.

Reply to
Max Demian

Oh Christ, don't remind me of our loft.

There needs to be an app where you can catalogue your stuff and its location. I have a remote thermostat & timer that you can use with a plug in electric heater. It's plainly been put away somewhere one summer and now... not a scooby. I want it before winter before the bastards at work do my head in by having the place roasting hot (often while they aren't even in!)

Reply to
R D S

I have a Word document titled "Stored Somewhere" which gives me a clue about what might be in the loft, or in the capacious spaces beneath our beds, which open up much like a hippo's mouth.

Trouble is, I have to remember to update it. I still haven't found an old monitor that is supposed to be up there somewhere. :-(

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Worthing BHF shop had a Sony Betamax recently, it was offered on their ebay site.

Reply to
Andrew

Andrew

If I glued a CCTV camera on my forehead, it would 24/7 record every time I pickup and misplace objects. The resulting TBs of captured video could be fed to an AI that would identify objects and enable their searching.

Simples. I'd just look a bit odd in the high street.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

First heard 'kettle lead' used by broadcast types. When IEC connectors became common there, rather than the iffy XRL LNE. About 40 years ago. But of course a true kettle IEC is a 'hot' condition one with a notch in the connector to prevent an ordinary one being used. A 'hot' will fit ordinary, but not the other way round.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News