Cleaning white coping stones

It's scrubbed, then sprayed.

Reply to
Anne Jackson

No need to be sarky! The copper doesn't clean (or claen!) the roof, it simply prevents the (re)growth of moss.

Reply to
Anne Jackson

And more interestingly, why?

Reply to
Huge

It's just looks so much nicer from the helicopter

Reply to
Stuart Noble

On my site, where I have Self-Built ... the overall site owner came around recently with a truck mounted pressure washer ... intending to do all kerbs & copings prior to getting council to adopt the roads.

I stopped him doing my copings (after all I paid for & laid them) .... the reason was very simple.

When any concrete is cast or pressed, there is a degree of cement 'fat' that goes to the surfaces, this provides the smooth nice finish ... it will pressure wash easily, but the first time you do it you remove the 'fat' ... and expose the aggregate underneath ... from that point on it looks crap, and will require frequent cleaning due to easier crud (algae, dirt etc.) finding it easier to get a foot hold on the rough exposed surface.

Bleach or similar and a soft nylon sweeping brush, and let bleach dry on stone .. rather than rinse off ... it inhibits re-growth of algae.

Noticed where I live we now have a pink/red algae growth on surfaces .... different to last place, must be difference species.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Heh, I used to work there and I think I was one of the people responsible for the racket. Particularly for the Harrier.

Same everywhere. The locals at Cobham objected to having the test track turned into an autodrome. Now it looks like they will be getting a

25,000 home "eco-town" on their doorstep.
Reply to
Steve Firth

I thought it was dried blood: I had used brick acid to clean the stones, and the red algae seems to favour an acid environment.

Bleach soon upset its PH!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bleach kills it ... don't know what it is though

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Never saw/heard a Harrier. The A10 Warthogs and the Chinooks were the noisiest, in different ways.

Drivers are baby-killer, right?

Reply to
Huge

It was used to test new controls so I don't think it ever got far from hovering just off he end of the runway. Probably just part of the background noise.

Noisy baby killers.

Reply to
Steve Firth