Cleaning sink stainless steel (caustic soda?)

Following upon the cleaning cooker thread, I am wondering the same about the kitchen sink, which is stainless steel.

Could I add diluted sodium hydroxide (caustic soda)? Would this damage the stainless steel? Would it damage the plug? Is there a less extreme solution (excuse the pun!)?

Reply to
Scott

Sink would probably be ok.

The metal in the plug area may be more of an issue. It is often chrome plated 'something' rather than stainless and caustic could certain damage it.

You can get proper stainless steel sink cleaners- we used it when we moved into a previous house and the sink was stained. Came up a treat. As I recall, it was a cream, not unlike a coarse tooth paste. I can't remember the brand, it must have been about 1987/8.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Good point. I also wondered about the plastic washer in the plug.

That I will look for. Meantime, someone has suggested biological detergent in the parallel thread. Have you tried this?

Reply to
Scott

Unless your sink is very thickly encrusted with greasy dirt and is disgustingly filthy, there's no need for anything so extreme. All you need is an ordinary multi-purpose surface cleaner spray and a good scrub around with one of those pan cleaners that look like a ball of metal turnings.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

How bad is it that Flash, Cillit Bang, or Cif cream are not sufficient? What is it contaminated with?

Reply to
newshound

+1

and if it's got any rust stains, a splash of viakal.

Reply to
Andy Burns

They probably are, but it was to get into the crevaces, particularly the plug and to deal with multiple colouration of the stainless steel.

My other idea is the steam cleaner, which may be a lot safer than caustic soda.

Reply to
Scott

dcepmds what muck is there. I used 600 grit wet and dry, caustic, bleach and sometimes brick acid depending on what is in it

hydrochloric not good around chrome

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

depends what muck is there. I used 600 grit wet and dry, caustic, bleach and sometimes brick acid depending on what is in it

hydrochloric not good around chrome. bleach good, caustic only for serious blockages

wear rubber gloves.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No. it couldnt.

straightforward T cut for sinks.

detergent + pumice.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There is a product called Bar Keepers friend that brings them up nicely.

GH

Reply to
Marland

No.

We only had that s/s sink briefly. When I refitted the kitchen, it was with a composite one and, since them, Senior Management has always wanted those.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I've got some of that in the cupboard. Good shout.

Reply to
Scott

Sounds like the old fashioned metal polish you could get! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Actually, now you mention it, it was very like that stuff that comes in a tube generally used for chrome bits on cars. I can't recall the name.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I've still got some, but I'm not going out to the garage to find its name.

Reply to
charles

Reply to
Andy Burns