Cleaning electric Flymo with pressure washer - Y/N?

Looking at the years of buildup of crud underneath the 'skirt' of my electric Flymo, I was just wondering whether using a pressure washer to clean it down occasionally would be as potentially foolhardy as it sounds, or whether the electrics are IP protected from moisture underneath anyway? I've never dismantled one to find out - anyone know?

Reply to
Lobster

NO.

Paint scraper and wire brush

Mike

Looking at the years of buildup of crud underneath the 'skirt' of my electric Flymo, I was just wondering whether using a pressure washer to clean it down occasionally would be as potentially foolhardy as it sounds, or whether the electrics are IP protected from moisture underneath anyway? I've never dismantled one to find out - anyone know?

Reply to
'Mike'

There will be minimal protection based on my experience of flymo etc. Remove the fan and soak in water clean that off and keep it balanced and just moisten the underside of the skirt and a narrow paint scraper or putty knife can be used to get the worst off.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

As long as you're careful not to spray the motor and avoid spraying near the motor shaft (high pressure washers can force water into bearings) I can't see there being a big problem.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Just let the crud get dry (turn Flymo upside down in the sun) then insert the corner of a paint scraper to open a starting hole in the crud; once you can slide the blade between the plastic and the dried buildup, it's easy to ping off in large chunks.

Janet

Reply to
Janet

Well, I'd not say you should use the highest pressure on old plastic as its very brittle. As long as you do not get it in the aire inlets, usually protected by foam, you will probably get away with it. There should not be any ingress from the bottom, unless they hav changed, being visually impaired I've mown into puddles and all sorts in the past! The bloomin thing still carried on. However really and I'm sure somone will point this out one should really clean the crud after use when its soft and remove it from around the main bearing as well, though I suppose this might remove some of the grease there., brobably not as much as a pressure washer might do!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Come on live dangerourously, leave it to dry for an hour or so a e then try it, but be ready to buy a new one if it just blows the breaker!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I wouldn't advise it. Bear in mind that the mower is usually bringing in dry air from the top and forcing it downwards. It will be vulnerable to water going the other way. High pressure water gives of a lot of mist.

I dream of inventing some sort of spray that will prevent the grass from sticking - but I guess many of the owners wouln't give a damn.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Nah, Angle Grinder...

Reply to
Adrian C

Silicon/PTFE spray does stop grass sticking.

Reply to
Martin

and a lump hammer

Reply to
Martin

iv'e been using a small garden trowel and pointing trowel to clean off my flymo 330. i clean it every time i use it or it builds up and becomes harder to remove the dried grass.

--

mhm x v i x i i i

Reply to
happy zombie jebus on the cros

Well, that's about 5:2 against, by my reckoning! Will have to have a think about it...

FYI I always do scrape it down after use - does anyone not do so? IME if you don't, it either sets like concrete and/or gets covered with white mould which is probably not much good to my lungs or the contents of my garden shed...

The machine must be about 10 years old, and in a bit of a state, and last weekend I was just thinking about giving it a good going over for once; that's all.

Reply to
Lobster

Once every five years whether it needs it or not. ;-). Mine isn't a hover mower however.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Water's bound to get in where it shouldnt. If you then leave it indoors to dry out for 2 weeks before plugging it in it should be fine.

NT

Reply to
meow2222