Power Washer

Hi Guys & Gals,

I was in Home Depot yesterday to pick up some privacy film (a 170 mile trip just for privacy film!! But, we wanted to go for a ride anyway, so we used the excuse of wanting a ride and visiting one of our ex foster children.

ANYway, while there, I was looking at the power washers. All they had were the electric kind, which I didn't fancy all that much, and anything over 1500psi seemed to be pretty expensive, so I moved on. They were prepping the store for hte weekend I guess, 'cause it was an unusual mess, and they dropped a 6.5hp B&S Quantum powered 2500 psi 2.2 gpm power washer on the floor at the end of the aisle. I -think- it might have been last year's stock; dusty, etc., but unopened and the carton looked good. The price was $289 so after hemming and hawing for a bit, I bought it. Got it home and at first it did't work - my hose had better pressure than it did. So, I disconnected the hose at the pump output, and wow! Lots of pressure! Working my way up, it turned out the hi pressure nozzle was plugged with plastic pieces (hose chaff, I imagine). Cleaned the nozzle and now I've got a seemingly perfect, very impressive, post-hole digging machine! I've tried it for sweeping the driveway, taking some old paint off the driveway and garage floot, washed some siding to use the siphon hose for detergents, and even blew the rust off a large piece of steel I had sitting by the garage door. I can think of all sorts of uses for it, long's I remember to keep the pressures set to something realistic. Seems 2500 psi is realy too much for household use, but ... long's it'll set downward, I think I'm real happy. So, I have two questions I was wondering if anyone here would like to comment on:

  1. Did I get a decent price for it? It's an Excell DeVilbiss VR2500, the R indicating residential use, 100 hrs or less per year. I see a very similar one from Sears (now!) at 9; it's a Honda brand and 6.5 hp 2450 psi, dunno the gpm. Now I've spent the money, I'm surpised to find residential machines for under 0 and they're popping up all over the place! Commercial or inmdustrial machines are out of my price range and besides it'll get very little use really, in the long run, so they'd be serious overkill anyway. I think.

  1. Since they supplied, with my power washer, a hex wrench and plunger specifically for cleaning the hi pressure nozzle, I'd assume they plug up often? Like I said, I've already unplugged it once before it'd even work! Should I get spare nozzles asap to have on hand? How many? One, or several? Our well water's fairly clean, but ... is hard water, after all, and, will the nozzles live thru storage? Or do you need a new one every year? Northwest US, very cold, snowy winters.

Any other comments on the VR2xxx would be welcome. I also wonder about the pressure bypass: I can't find it, so it must be internal? No parts list or anything like that came with it - will go look on their site later today, but ... wanted to mention it.

Weather's great here today, so --- if you're reading this during daylight hours, --- get out & git some work done!!

Regards,

Pop

Reply to
Pop Rivet

You got a pretty good deal. I work at HD and the 2500 was just superceded by the 2600...no real differences. As you've found, 2500 psi is MORE than enough pressure for most homeowners. You can do some serious damage if you're not careful. BTW, there was an offer of free tools for that unit via mail in rebate a few weeks ago. I'll check and see if it's still in effect. You shouldn't need a spare set of nozzles. If you water supply is dirty/gritty, you might want to use a filter screen on your waterhose supply line (like are supplied with washing machines).

Reply to
Curmudgeon

Residential use rating , wow, meaning it wont last but if used once and a while it will. Use a wider tip for less pressure. , Debris isnt right , get more return it. Quality is going down everywhere you are getting what you pay for.

Reply to
m Ransley

just superceded

most homeowners.

BTW, there was an

weeks ago. I'll

supply is

your waterhose supply

Thanks, appreciate your taking a moment to post. Yup, I've played a bit with it and do take the injection injuries seriously, etc.; I'm not a newbie to power washers, just owning one, esp a residential grade. And yes, the filter screen did come with it, plus I have one on the line that goes to the hose bibs anyway right at the shutoffs unions for easy access. Never had to change one unless I forgot to flush the pipes after working on them one time . I can see they take forthought before using them.

Pop

Reply to
Pop Rivet

used once and

Debris isnt right

are getting

Umm, you're one of the more "interesting" posters on this site. And as far as Debris not being right, well, something tells me you've never had any experience with operations such as would create debris, have you? It's interesting how many things you know everything there is to know about them, including where the debris came from. I didn't say because my post was too wordy as it was, but it so happens I did find where the debris came from, and I am also able to make return or not decisions based on physical information presented to me and the analysis of the situation. How did you come to that conclusion? Debris could mean too many things for you to have decided it was necessary to return it, especially since it's working perfectly AND it's nearly a 200 mile trip to return it, the possibilities range from Quality assurance and control (or lack thereof) to process control (or lack of), to assembly procedures to original design constraints and poor modeling.

Wish you lived next door to me: I have a feeling you waste a lot of money on industrial/commercial grade stuff you don't need, and are proud to lend it out to those who will make you think you're neat.

Can I borrow a fifty?

Pop

Reply to
Pop Rivet