Cleaning Car Windscreen

I just wondered what people's favourite "solution" is for doing so. Hot soapy water, meths, proprietary ??????

Reply to
Crossword

Either neat screenwash, or white vinegar, preferably before washing it to get rid of the whiff.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've tried everything else apart from neat screenwash. I'll give that a crack. Taa for the idea.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Outside or inside? I've noticed that inside tends to get a coating of something over the years. Be nice to know what to use to get that clean.

Reply to
Tim Streater

hot soapy for me

If the alcohol in the screenwash doesn't get it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

its human fats etc. detergent.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The AutoGlym glass cleaner is very good.

Failing that, regular glass cleaner works OK.

For the odd clean up of traffic film, a bottle of glass wipes from Halfords are OK and are convenient to keep in the boot.

The important thing is a supply of lint free cloths to buff up - old cotton shirts and trousers chopped up are good for this and can be washed and reused.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's traffic film and glass cleaner should work.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Crossword wrote

Glass cleaner. Screwfit do a litre for £3, other brands are available. David's the isopon people made the first I used 40 odd years ago.

Reply to
Sailor

Autglym Glass Cleaner and kitchen towel is what I use. Seems to work.

Reply to
Huge

I use chunks of old towels which although not lint-free, seem to work well enough.

Also, don't wipe the inside of the screen with your hand. It leaves greasy marks.

Reply to
Huge

Any glass cleaner + balled up newspaper.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

True - old towels have had most of the loose lint knocked off by repeated washing.

Indeed. It's better to get a cloth or just wait for the demister to clear it -

Which takes longer these days - I pulled the fuse on the Touran's fast preheater because it had the habit of belching diesel fumes all over the poor pedestrians during the first 10 minutes of running. I once smoked out half the road...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Its what comes out of the plastics.

Doesn?t work for that.

Reply to
john james

Stay away from automatic car washes and even hand washing establishments as many apply liquid wax in the final rinse which may make the bodywork shine nicely. On the windscreen it just causes a build up of a wax film that is hard to clean and is one of the main causes of wiper chatter.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Don't use a spam sandwich like my daughter did.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

In message , john james writes

Such as?

Seems much more likely to be general grime (dust grease etc.) that collects on it.

I use a household glass cleaner spray, works fine.

Reply to
Chris French

My friend swears on Fairy liquid. Mind you his wipers still sound like a disaster after fitting new blades or with the wrong kind of rain. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Mix of that and the plasticisers and other volatiles from the interior plastic components cooking in the sun.

IPA (the alcohol) and/or any decent wetting agent (eg neat screenwash) on a cloth will clean it but do not get it in your eyes.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Mixture of both.

Traces of monomer and plasticisers that escape when the car interior is being cooked in the sunshine and condense on the cooler windows.

Essentially it is in part the condensate of "new car" smell.

Slightly more aggressive solvents like IPA or neat screenwash will work better with less elbow grease. Meths is just a bit too aggressive and may damage or weaken some plastic components.

Reply to
Martin Brown