Cladding for gable-end, uPVC or wood?

I have moved into a house which has a rather unusual design, it has a gable end which is clad in lead flashing. Over the years the lead has discoloured and become wrinkled. I would like to clad instead with dark wood or uPVC.

My question is this: quite a few recently built houses have gables clad with dark tongued and groove material. Is this generally wood or uPVC?

Is dark woodgrain uPVC a bad idea re. discolouration, expansion etc? Is hardwood a better idea? This is a South facing roof, plenty of sun.

Thanks

Andy

Reply to
Andy W

"Andy W" wrote | Is dark woodgrain uPVC a bad idea re. discolouration, expansion etc? | Is hardwood a better idea? This is a South facing roof, plenty of sun.

If suitable (aesthetically and technically) for the situation, my preference for a wall cladding would be tiles.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

uPVC for visible attributes is a bad idea full stop. And when pretending to be wood doubly so.

Yes.

Use a good woodstain.

Reply to
G&M