Chugging

Then how does anyone know they area charity - by just saying so?

Reply to
charles

Don't think it makes it impossible - just more tedious to complete the forms - but it is a while since I last applied to the Lottery.

Reply to
bert

In article , charles writes

The term is "Registered Charity" For further explanation have a look at the CC website. Registered charities do not necessarily go round giving things to poor people,

Reply to
bert

that and showing the work they do. It only applies to under 5k pa income organisations though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You can *apply* to the Lottery for funds but if you are a Charity and

*haven't* files accounts for several years prior to the application they would be negligent if they gave you any money as a result.

This obviously doesn't apply to Kids Company where it seems Minsters and civil servants knew the whole edifice was was about to collapse but gave them another £3M anyway. It helps to have friends in high places.

Reply to
Martin Brown

It is a relatively new feature. There are plenty of pre-existing charities with turnovers that are under £5k although these days a high proportion of village halls are in the range of turnover £10-25k. I doubt if any could subsist on under £5k annual turnover. The buildings insurance, maintenance and utility bills for a typical village hall are already in that ballpark even before you try to do anything else.

It is dodgy allowing people to just claim to be a charity with no checking or registration whatsoever. It will doubtless cause problems. (that is however what they have done)

Reply to
Martin Brown

e organisations though.

It's basically just a class of charity, and I daresay is designed to have s ome positive effects. There are plenty of tiny projects out there that coul d do with collecting goods or funds on a tiny scale, where formal registrat ion etc has been a big hindrance. People just need to understand what this type of organisation is, and donate appropriately. I don't see a big proble m with eg donating shredded paper & food leftovers to an unregistered hamst er home in someone's spare room etc. But I doubt I'd start giving them subs tantial funds. It's not hard to go see what they actually do.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

To be faire to the civil servants they had formally advised against giving KC any more money but were ignored.

Reply to
bert

do they qualify for a 50% reduction in business rates?

Reply to
charles