Chrome pipe and olives

Hi,

Is it *necessary* to use brass olives on chromed pipe? Or will copper do?

I've got a couple of visible runs to do and most of my fittings came with copper, and BES don't seem to sell brass olives except for a few weird sizes for itsy bitsy gas pipe.

Otherwise I'll have to drive up to T Wells just to get them...

Only ask because I seem to recall the subject being mentioned here in the distant past...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Amongst all the many listings here you will also find your question on a plumbers' forum as well:

Spamlet

Spamlet wibbled on Thursday 29 July 2010 20:11

With answers like "Don't forget your PTFE tape as well it could make all the differance." ack! ;->

Personally I prefer brass, as I can tell when they're tight by the "creak", and the fact that bit the pipe nicely.

But I see the logic of the argument re: copper, especially with the olive- fitting seal.

Just wondered if copper had enough bite for chrome...

And why all of a sudden they seem harder to get (I mean, if BES don;t sell them...)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim Watts wibbled on Thursday 29 July 2010 19:30

Found some more references on google that suggest most plumbers think brass olives are a better idea. Wonder why all my chromed fittings came with copper :(

And still wondering why brass is harder to get...

Reply to
Tim Watts