Cheerfully unhelpful suppliers

A bit back I was doing some plumbing. I bought some 15mm copper and some other bits and pieces and I asked for a valve. 'A valve', said the guy, me, 'yes a 15mm valve'. I was having a bit of a brain fart and couldn't remember exactly what I needed to ask for, he was staring at me blankly so I said 'for shutting the water off'. He stared at me blankly, I added, 'a valve, for stopping the flow of water'. 'Your terminology is blowing me away' he said. Me, 'two bits of pipe, valve between them for turning the water off', him, 'oh, an isolator. (note the omission of the word valve).
More recently I bought some wall units from a local timber place. I was using them as base units so the worktop I was buying needed cutting in half lengthways, I asked if they could do it for me and the fella said, almost gleefully I thought, that they couldn't. I thought I was being my usual cynical self but I detected another hint of cheerfulness when I was putting them in the car and he asked where I was going to take them to get them cut. I told him not to worry, i'd manage.
This week I am in the electrical suppliers. I need a type C breaker, he asks what sort of breakers I currently have, I tell him, he says he has type B breakers but can't get C types the same as the ones I have. I come away empty handed and do a bit of research and find that most breakers are the same size and shape and will sit happily with each other. So I go back and buy a couple of breakers and ask if he has any busbar. Not for that CU he says. So I leave with no busbar but then i'm thinking that if the breakers are the same dimensions then surely the busbar is the same. So I go back and he admits he has none and doesn't keep it.
Do people get a buzz out of being unhelpful?
R D S wrote:

yes.

Sadly a lot of people seem to get a buzz out of other peoples misfortune. Often found in folk who lead fairly mundane lives.
Mike
writes

You have to ask yourself
"Is it me or the rest of the world?"
--
geoff

On 24/11/11 22:35, geoff wrote:

It's definitely them.
On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 18:06:03 +0000, R D S wrote:

Don't attribute to malice things that can be adequately explained by stupidity.
E.g. Burgers sold in packs of 4, burger buns sold in packs of 6.
But yes, most shop assistants have nothing to gain from being helpful. It means nothing to them whether you buy anything or not.
On 24/11/2011 22:46, root wrote:

Sounds to me like the OP is a victim of DIYer-at-a-trade-supplier-syndrome. Would have made a good Two Ronnies sketch:
DIYer: "I'd like a length of wood please" Supplier "Eh? Haven't got any of those." DIYer: "But the sign says you're a timber yard!" Supplier: "Oh, right you mean timber... " DIYer: "OK, do you have any lengths of TIMBER, three inches wide by two inches thick?" Supplier: "ooh, no" DIYer: "Well what's this then?" Supplier: "Oh, you mean toobithree..."

Me: "Do you have anything short and thicker than these two?". Supplier: "No". Me: "Well look in the mirror tomorrow morning".
Supplier: "Our staff have the right not to be insulted". Me: "So you will not be going home to your mother tonight then?".
root wrote:

Which sums up the core problem of why this country is crap. When I came out of uni in 1990 (recession) and had to take a job in the Jobcentre (well, *they* were busy): it was quite possibly the most boring job I have ever had but it did not stop me from taking pride in the work. I used to get a kick out of making sure the job ads on the boards were up to date, arranged in order and tallied with the daily computer listing.
Sad, I know - but that's me. If I have to do something, I like to do it nicely - an atribute that is sadly lacking in a great many places.
--
Tim Watts

In several companies that I've worked for, the bods behind the stores counters all seem to have the same unhelpful pedantic bastard gene.
As someone elsewhere once commented, their credo seems to be "It's called 'Stores' because we store stuff. If we were meant to issue it, it would be called 'Issues'..."
-- Halmyre
"Halmyre" wrote in message wrote:

--
Having moved from 'the big smoke' into rural East Sussex, I find that local
suppliers including those that are big chains are in fact very helpful in
On 25/11/2011 08:26, Andrew Mawson wrote:

--
Having moved from 'the big smoke' into rural East Sussex, I find that
local suppliers including those that are big chains are in fact very
On 25/11/2011 16:05, Another Dave wrote:

Bugger. Now you've made me grey out myself :(
Another Dave
"Another Dave" wrote in message

--

Well yes, that's how I'm replying!!!!!! They are not greyed out when I read
my replies ???????odd?????
On 25/11/2011 17:24, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Just thought I would reply to AWEM's message but Thunderbird stripped that content out as a signature. ;-)
--
Roger Chapman

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 17:24:03 -0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:

I think the point is you are replying after the '--' so its stripped out as a signature by many newsreaders
--
(º•.¸(¨*•.¸ ¸.•*¨)¸.•º)
<.•°•. Nik .•°•.>
"Ghostrecon" wrote in message

OK Is this better? Windows Live Mail is far from ideal, and I'm having to run WLMQuotefix for each reply to sort the lack of quote '>' appendages. It puts a silly phase in - something like 'I promise to quote correctly in future' which I cut out, but I hadn't realised that the '--' was also inserted by WLMQuotefix !!!!
AWEM
On 25/11/2011 18:34, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Yes that's much better :)
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 18:34:18 -0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:

yes much thank - you
--
On 25/11/11 18:34, Andrew Mawson wrote:

The "-- " is fine, but you need to make sure it goes after your message (and maybe before the "AWEM")