Cheeky beggers

My local supermarket is selling screenwash liquid advertised on the 5l container as "ready to use" and "no need to dilute" BUT then people drink bottled tapwater so I guess it's ok.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Jim S wrote:

For what temperature is it the correct dilution?
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
Chris J Dixon wrote:

Halfords have been doing the same for years - and as I recall charging about the same for the dilute stuff as for the concentrated.
People will pay for convenience and not query whether it is the right strength or good value.
Why does the same broccoli cost 50 to 100 percent more if it is wrapped in clingfilm by staff rather than placed by the purchaser in a more expensive supermarket bag?
Invisible Man wrote:

Because you have to pay the staff. You don't *pay* the customer. You *charge* the customer. This is a fundamental Rule of Business ;-)
At 30/hour overall labour cost, which is probably reasonable for a manual worker operating some capital intensive kit like a shrinkwrapper, thats 50p per minute value add.
Ive been working on costsonmgs for a small manufacturing compmnay, and the analysis is interesting.
Irrespective of the QUALITY of the product or its design, the ratios are roughly 31% reseller margin, 31% direct labour and cost of capital to buy manufacturing plant, 31% material costs, and 3% net profit ;-)
Which leads to some interesting conclusions:-
Disintermediation (direct selling off a manufacturer's website) results in 30% spare margin, to be either profit, or given to the customer, whichever: In products with low SUPPORT costs, this is a massive reduction in price (or inrease in margin)
If the material costs double, using quality materials, this adds a mere 15% to the retail cost. This is more than covered by direct selling. A fact I discovered when I built this house, as solid oak doors from a joinery shop cost very little more than mass produced fibre doors from the builders merchants.
The customers perception of value bears virtually no relationship to the costs. If the production run is long enough, so R & D costs are fully amortized, a far better design, that lasts far longer and works far better, is very little different in price.
Support is expensive: better instructions cost nothing, and save a fortune.
Cheap product gets a bad name because bean counters whittle away at the parts costs: in reality a completely new DESIGN designed to be basic, reliable and cheap to make, is far far better. Don't replace expensive parts with cheap parts. Eliminate them altogether!
We recently paid 6.50 for a 1/2cwt of local .. that's about 25kilos..slightly over a quid a kilo? cant find that sort of price in any supermarket, and they are better potatoes.
The short answer is that in a high income consumer society, people pay a huge premium for not doing the most basic things, like washing a potato or diluting their alcohol for screenwashers.
This may well change rapidly..
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I was surprised years ago when I learned that my employers reckoned I cost over 4 times my salary because of office space, local support, HO support etc. etc. Now mainly living off my mostly final salary and mostly non-contributory pension:-)

Aldi price for potatoes today = 49p for 5 Kg (10p/kg)
--
Alan
news2006 amac f2s com
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

But WTF do people actually buy the expensive clingfilmed versions? What's the benefit (regardless of the cost aspect I'd still go for the unwrapped items because I can pick ones which definitely aren't manky.)
Bizarre IMHO.
Lobster wrote:

Shrink wrapped is protected, and may have been sterilised by radiation as well.

Because individual shops don't give you a choice.
If I'm in Shop X, 'm not going to make a special trip to Shop Y just to avoid film wrapped items.
tim
tim..... wrote:

Well in my Tesco's the bins are side-by-side: one contains clingfilmed or bagged veg, the other one has the loose stuff.
But TNP's point about the veg being protected is well-taken though: I suppose at least it means the produce hasn't potentially been mauled by loads of E.coli-ridden fingers.
Umm, maybe I'll buy the clingfilmed stuff next time...
David

Who do you think packs it?
--
Alan
news2006 amac f2s com
Alan wrote:

Hopefully just a single set of E.coli-ridden fingers (and with luck, encased in plastic gloves?)
David
Lobster wrote:

Best not forget you can snap the stalks off right up to the head as well...... or is that just me? ;)
--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.bodysolid-gym-equipment.co.uk

Why not just eat them?
--
"Please try to understand, the one you call Messiah is a lie."
[email me at huge huge (dot) org <dot> uk]

I always remove the stalks from tomatoes before weighing. I doubt that this saves me more than a penny per time, but what the heck.
And I always rummage through the cauliflowers to make sure that I get one of the bigger ones. I do think it's a bit off that they charge a fixed price when the size varies by as much as 100%.
tim
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:26:56 -0000, tim..... wrote:
-------------------8><

It's easy enough to avoid the ones that are 100% smaller...
Appelation Controlee wrote:

Buy one get a 100% smaller one free every time!

I agonised for ages as to whether I should use 100% (bigger) or 50% (smaller).
Perhaps I chose the wrong one :-(
tim
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:03:27 -0000, tim..... wrote:

In the company I work for, certain ball-park estimates for internal charging are qualified as being +/- 100%.We all know what's intended but nobody, other than me, seems to question the expression.
On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 15:39:26 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Usually an increase in margin, not least because most manufacturers don't want to be seen to compete with their own supply chain.