check on domestic electrical regs

I am extending an existing ring main to provide more power points in a first floor ( upstairs ) bedroom.

I have successful expereince of this , but some years ago and just just wish to check a couple pf points re current regulations.

  1. In a first floor situation is it ok to just lay the cable in the void between floor (boards) and downstairs ceiling ,

or does one have to fix (pin) cable to the sides of the floor joists. ?

2 . Sunken socket boxes will be about 12" above floor level , ( about 6" above skirting height)

I have cut chases in the plaster down to brick suface.

Is it required to use trunking for the vertical run from floor to socket box ? I would use PVC Oval if I had to but given the shallow depth of the chase I would rather just plaster over cable if this is OK.

Thanks in advance

Richard

Reply to
Jack Fate

Yes. Short of ripping up loads of floorboards there is not much else you can do

Whatever height you choose (height requirements are only on new builds)

Just using clips and then plastering is fine

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yup.

That would be impractical in most cases without removing the entire floor.

It's ok without - cable runs vertically from a socket don't need to be protected.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)