Cheapest way to replace dead Combi-boiler??

Wouldn't go within 100 miles of the place 8,)

Reply to
<me9

Also, particularly at the moment, think very carefully before getting rid of any water storage system you have in the house. You might be seriously regretting it in a few months time if you live in certain South Eastern counties.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Indeed, so far I've seen nothing that says the boiler's shot. A BG salesman calling himself an engineer doesnt mean squat.

I've lost count of the number of beyond repair goods I've repaired, mostly without any great difficulty.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The message from snipped-for-privacy@care2.com contains these words:

While I'm in complete agreement with you, it's important to bear in mind the concept of "economic repair" which for people who either have to buy skills in because they don't have them themselves or who value their time very highly may mean that repairable things get binned for what to them seems like a good reason.

Gosh - wonder where the full stop in that sentence went!

Reply to
Guy King

I know of one DIYer who would buty a cheap combi and install it himself. He didn't know much about how it worked (he did know that if the pump is not turning and there is power to it, it is duff, and he could replace). He knew how to clean the heat exchanger for a so-called service. He would run the combi until it broke down and he couldn't repair, then repace the combi, which was a few hours work changing the thing adusting any pipes along the way. He never ever paid for a service. Since around 16 to 18 years he is now in his third combi. Each model has been a better performer than the older one as technology progressed, and he has saved around £1,000 in service costs alone, never mind breakdown call outs which would have to be factored in, or one of those BG service contracts. The cost of all three is no more than £1,000 over those years. Each new combi comes with a guarantee of 1 to 3 years or so as well. I'm sure his original combi could still be operational a great cost. His view has paid off for him and he has had guarantee cover for many years too.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The message from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

We don't insure our cats for vets' bills - if they get so sick they'll cost too much they're for the chop. We've never actually had to use this sanction and have saved a couple of thousand at least. It also seems to make the vets more realistic - "I can do lots of expensive tests and tell you he's had it - or I can just tell you he's had it."

Reply to
Guy King

Quite unlike dribble, normally he adopts any argument that most people disagree with for the sake of it!

Reply to
John Rumm

of course

time has value for all of us.

Perhaps in case of misunderstanding I should have said 'I've lost count of the number of beyond repair goods I've repaired economically, mostly without any great difficulty, many of which could have been repaired by a repairshop economically too.' The points being that a) just cos a salesman says buy one doesnt mean diddly. b) theres always a percentage of goods that are easily and economically repaired. So it makes little sense to throw it away until such time as you know it needs replacing.

If the OP were earning =A350 an hour I doubt he'd be here asking about it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Chav, I adopt the correct opinion. It is sad that many here are hard of thinking.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Amazing. He buys high pressure taps and put them on allow pressure system and wonder why a dribble comes out. I hope they don't let him do that ion the institution. Who will the dishes be done.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Perhaps in case of misunderstanding I should have said 'I've lost count of the number of beyond repair goods I've repaired economically, mostly without any great difficulty, many of which could have been repaired by a repairshop economically too.'

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Thanks for the replies guys. And what sort of quote should I be expecting as 'reasonable' for installing a boiler that I supply, and fitting a room stat and attachment to kitchen sink (very close by)?

Reply to
Chris Tomlinson

My guess would be 400 quid but you'll be lucky to get a "pro" who will do that because they make good money marking up the price of goods they buy at trade price.

Reply to
OldBill

A guy recommended to me in this group, working in London, is quoting me £1,850 to supply & fit. He said the boiler part was £850. How should I push him down from £1,000 to £400? :-S

Reply to
Chris Tomlinson

Yes, it'll be £400 for installing the boiler.

However it will be another £300 for sundry materials and supplies, updating controls etc to current standards as required by building regs

£200 for commissioning and testing £100 for paperwork, warranty, building control notification etc.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Is that the same as the way your words dribble out, dribble?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sad isn't it. He has picked on the word dribble. Very sharp. I hope they take him for a walk with his loafers on. He just loves his loafers.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Perhaps then you'd sharpen up and attempt to post in English? As if...

Your foot fetish appears to be getting worse. Still at least it's an improvement from your 'poetry' one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Doctor Drivel