Cheaper on a meter?

Much more?

Filtering presumably to keep out the wriggly things and bits of crud that could block the shut-off valve.

Some pump and level sensor combination to keep an attic cistern full of rain water for flushing - but what else?

DN

Reply to
Dev Null

Hi.

I am with Welsh Water and recently went on to a meter. To give you some idea of what is involved, the figures are below, but based on my current consumption, I think I have made the right decision.

Meter installation: free. The first year is on a 'trial' basis, and I may revert to unmetered at the end of that year if I so choose.

My house is a semi, out in the sticks, so foul water goes into a septic tank and no mains drainage. I have two 50 gallon water butts collecting rainwater for garden/car wash use.

Current unmetered charge: £120 (based on 90% of rateable value)

Metered costs: Standing Charge: £15.50/yr Water: £0.90p/m3 (1000 litres/222 galls)

So, to create a metered water bill that equals my old unmetered bill I would have to use some 116 cu m (116,000 lts) per year or 70 gallons/day in old money.

I live on my own (and am at home) during the week and my partner joins me for w/ends. Showers only (gravity fed), washing machine used twice a week (biggest consumer), no dishwasher. Consumption figures over the past few months average out at 175 lt/day @ w/ends and

Reply to
Chris

First you need to collect enough water to make it worthwhile. Figure on around 56" of water a year, see how much roof space you can harvest off, if necessary redirect some water flow up there to get it where you want it. Calculate what it'll save you. See if you can have the neighbours rain water: you can offer to take it so they have no downpipes to maintain. Not much use for detached houses of course.

Now you need a water tank: figure out how long you want it to last before it runs dry, and the size and quantity of the flushes. Size your tank, work out what it'll weigh and where you'll put it. If its on the ground instead of in the loft you'll also need a pump and float level switch. Think whats going to stop it freezing when it gets cold.

Add a backup mains water supply to the loft tank: can be controlled by a float switch, and set to add water when the tank gets down to just holding one more flush.

Now you need a rainwater diverter on your downpipe, a self cleaning filter, and a UV bacteria killer unit. There are other methods but UV is a good one.

Shortcutting the above would be liable to result in smells.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Be warned anyone who has a power shower in a low rated property. I'm a single person, on a water meter, I'll be paying £17/mo (£204/year) water/sewage this year. A long hot shower in the morning bumps average consumption to 220-250l per day. This year is slightly skewed. Refurbishment of the garden pond used

25-30cum last year, which I'm paying for this year, otherwise about £14/month (£168/year) would be more normal. Yorkshire Water BTW.
Reply to
Steven Briggs

Hello Al

I was on about that, also SWW, until I moved somewhere with a septic tank. Now my water bills (rated) are seriously smaller, like 100-

150/year.

SWW is a special case in that the majority of the cost is spent on coastal cleanup programs. Or at least, that's what we're told...

Reply to
Simon Avery

Logic and the elderly often differ in matters such as this.

Reply to
James Hart

True enough .. and drifting slightly ...

A few years back we bought a new dishwasher and offered our old (but

100%) one to Mum and Dad. They accepted and I duly installed it for them.

We went round to theirs on Xmas day and after dinner it was hinted that my Missus might like to help with the washing up?

She (we) had no issue with clearing away the pots / table etc but didn't see why we should be expected to do the washing up whilst standing in front of a dishwasher!

A couple of months later I removed it?..

Oldies eh? ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

The cost of removing the used water is usually much higher than the cost of supplying fresh water. If you have a septic tank or cess pit the water bills can indeed be much lower, but you have to pay someone to empty the tank.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Laws

Hello Robert

Well yes, obviously...

Except that sometimes you don't! A well balanced septic tank system only /needs/ emptying when it's full of stuff that should never have been flushed in the first place - the stuff that doesn't biodegrade.

With proper toilet training :) and using good quality bogroll (it rots a lot quicker than shiny-white) you can go without emptying the tank for many years. Approx five years here so far and I reckon I can get to 10 without too much problem (2 adults, no kids - the latter increase water usage hugely).

Also caring for your septic tank is very important. No bleaches or poison down the tube and any other chemical in very small amounts only. If you sluice that stuff down it'll kill the bugs and the tank will smell and need emptying (without them it in effect turns into a two-tank cesspit)

Even allowing for increased installation costs, I reckon that for many households self-contained sewerage, where possible, is quids-in. Certainly in the SW if you have the land.

Reply to
Simon Avery