Cheap solid copper wire

That didn't come up when I did a search. Mind you, I stopped using them years ago, because they were always the most expensive.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Ian

Can I ask as a electronics tech and ex radio amateur (G8HNN) who still has a real interest in all things aerials, what freq are you using or are they wide(ish) band ?

Dave

Reply to
dave stanton

follow-ups about aerials as such had better be by e-mail, please.

Reply to
Ian White

I've seen it in a number of surplus stores over the last few years - it is usually in the 1/2mile disposable dispenser packs - a circular olive green light canvas pack about 2ft in diameter with the wire feeding out of the centre. The heavier refillable containers (with straps around them) are more expensive as military vehicle enthusiasts like them.

had someone offering some at GBP10 a pack in March.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Thanks to both Peter and Andy for the specific references - plenty to follow up tomorrow.

In fact, thanks again to everybody!

Reply to
Ian White

I've never scraped enamel. On small stuff I use a blue-flame lighter, and follow up with a single wipe (not scrub) with emery paper. Thicker wire might need a blowlamp for speed, but the principle is the same.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Those techniques certainly work with polyurethane enamel (typically pink/red/green) which is designed to thermally decompose at typical soldering temperatures. In doing so, it also acts as a solder flux. But as I said earlier, that kind of enamelled wire is available mostly on tiddly little reels for lab/workshop use.

The stuff you can buy in kilometre quantities is typically intended for motor windings and is brown, double-enamelled, heat resistant and extremely tough. Heating to the point of charring still fails to loosen it. Completely different ball game, I'm afraid.

Reply to
Ian White

Found the vintage military radio chap this morning, and put my paw on his last two packs of D10 which will do me nicely.

Case closed!

One last time: grateful thanks to everybody.

Reply to
Ian White

OK, that makes sense, I'm used to transformer wire (from

Reply to
Chris Hodges