Charging leisure battery.

The so called 'sealed' or maintenance free battery in my car is over 4 years old and never been topped up - these days they use a method of recovering the evaporation. Of course modern car systems don't overcharge the battery - indeed most don't actually take it to the maximum charge.
--
*What do little birdies see when they get knocked unconscious? *

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 21:11:12 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
|> No I checked the zig charger it worked fine, just the occasional bubble, |> but over a year the occasional bubble adds up to quite a lot of water. |> The battery I replaced it with works fine after several years, topping |> up with deionised water every month or two. Also Sulphuric acid does |> evaporate, just like water. | |The so called 'sealed' or maintenance free battery in my car is over 4 |years old and never been topped up - these days they use a method of |recovering the evaporation. Of course modern car systems don't overcharge |the battery - indeed most don't actually take it to the maximum charge.
Leisure batteries are normally of the old type. Maintenance free ones are rare. I did mention them upthread in the original post if you look.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Google Groups is IME the *worst*
Steve Firth Wrote:

I think we will now use both types of charging system as we now ca see flaws in solar only and indeed wind only. I have spoken to som more suppliers with some success so it looks like we may be gettin somewhere.Thanks for all the constructive posts
-- Alec

Why so large?
--
*Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment *

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 17:50:33 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
|> I have a customer with a small chalet with no electricity. I fitted a |> basic domestic alarm connected to a 75 ah leisure battery. | |Why so large?
That is the *small* one. Caravanners usually have 110ah
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Google Groups is IME the *worst*
On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 17:50:33 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You can realistically only draw around 35% of total capacity, so it's functionally a 25AH battery. It's probably oversized, I would guess that the actual requirement is closer to 8-10AH, but at least it will give some headroom for a couple of days power outage.
Dave Plowman (News) Wrote:

Thats what the customer has to be honest no other reason. But everytim I do a load test it only registers about 40-50ah. Even after a ful charge
-- Alec