Channel out floor for CH pipework?

OK, sounds a bit of an odd question, but I'd appreciate some more experienced thoughts on this...

I'll need to install CH in a 2 bed semi with concrete floors, is normal practice to channel out the floor, or just attach to the wall (and perhaps box in?). It has 'warm air' heating at the moment - perhaps I reuse the ducting channels? If I need to channel, is this as hard/expensive/noisy as it sounds?

I guess I'm looking for a few pointers from anyone who's tackled this sort of thing before - I'm looking to most of the legwork myself to save on cost (naturally). I'm fairly handy DIY-wise, but never done this sort of thing before. I'd like to lay the pipework and get a plumber to commission the boiler if possible.

Thanks!

Phil

Reply to
Phil

I'd only channel out concrete floors as a last resort!

By all means reuse ducting channels, drop pipework from upstairs to the ground floor, use microbore in either copper of plastic as appropriate to make running pipework (and hiding where necessary) easier; whatever is necessary to do a sound job with least effort. Do Google thoroughly on this group and elsewhere and have a look at any DIY books covering CH installation that you can find to get maximum clue and good plans before starting: you'll spend enough time and energy installing it and a bit of brainwork beforehand can save you graft doing it.

John S

Reply to
John Stumbles

If you do decide on channeling out the concrete floor I'd advise using a floor saw and save yourself a lot of hassle. Make sure you don't concrete the pipes in though, the pipes have to be accessible for servicing.

Reply to
StealthUK

The usual procedure would be to corrosion protect the pipes before grouting them back into the floor.

This type of install prolem comes up either in the mid C20 house (such as my own) where the procedure is to drop the supply pies from the 1st floor ceiling void. It also comes up in the low rise block of flats frequently the solution is to run the pipes neatly clipped o the skirting board, not the best way but much less work that burying them in concrete (which will also have to be done in places).

Reply to
Ed Sirett