Changing broadband suppliers OT

In message snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes

I finally moved from Demon to Zen a couple of years ago, and the whole process was straightforward and painless, including simultaneous switch of landline from BT to Zen. Since then, have upgraded to FTTC, and again, that was painless. Still using Turnpike for mail and news, though :-)

Reply to
Graeme

???

Openerach have standard rates. No one givces discounts that I am aware of.

*shrug* I pay what I pay for rock solid reliability, a fixed IP address and gold class custmomer support. Think its around £33/month inc. line rental. Phone is PAYG as I seldom use it.

That is exactly what BT is before you make calls.

Well you can keep hopping around with dire support and heavy contention or you can just drink a pint a week less and spend the money on an honest workmanlike decent ISP with proper support.

I synch at 6.5Mbps and I get around 6Mbps download all the time.

I have had engineers out 6 times to get the line sorted. It now is.

My phones, mobile and landline, are PAYG, and seldom get used.

Plusnet will do me a deal for sure, but no fixed IP address and then what afer a year?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Some ISPs charge differently depending on the "market" classification of the exchange, plusnet being one (maybe the only one left?)

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message <q5bcov$v4j$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, The Natural Philosopher snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid writes

With Plusnet, I have a fixed IP address. It was just a question of asking for it when I signed up. No extra charge.

I'm on FTTC. I don't know whether that makes a difference.

My son, about a mile down the road, is similarly on a fixed IP with Plusnet, He needs rock solid reliability for his business, including international video conferencing etc. All I know is that he got so pissed off with BT that he moved to PN, and has not complained since.

Reply to
Bill

What is the benefit of a fixed IP address? I don't have any ambitions for a website.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

so no discounts then.

Merely a commercial arranbgement for more or less competition.

Plusnet CANNOT be the only one left. Plusnets is not the provider. BT wholseale is.

I can get any ISP I want (except Virgin Cable) provided it is via the Openreach managed BT wholesale provided cable and DSLAMS.

There is no LLU provider. So the joys of cut price over contended supportless shit from talk talk are not on.

No ISP that I am aware of offers discount *for the same service* depending on where you are.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How much do you pay?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In my case it allows me to set up a simple firewall at my remote sites such that my IP address has as full access as needed whilst keeping the rest of the world out.

This means that e.g. using ssh and ssftp or even SMB or NFS to manage my online servers is not compromised by people seeing open ports and hammering at them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah! Well beyond my needs.

I have signed up with...... John Lewis!!

I'll report back on progress although it seems pretty efficient so far. Vodafone/Demon are sorry to see me go! Bit rich after they basically told me to buggeroff.

BT a bit emotional *after all these years*:-)

An extra £5.00 gets me a fixed IP address so I'll click the button when the opportunity arises.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Ok, I'm probably paying over the odds.

I'm paying for the fastest speed possible here ( so that son has a backup if he has a problem at his house) plus unlimited phone calls

24/7. We use the phone a lot. Speeds, measured over local wifi here today are just over 40Mbps down, 17 Mbps up. When I had the business I had to have fixed IP. First with Demon, now with Plusnet. I'm paying about £49 pm. I think my son argued and pays less, but he doesn't use his landline.
Reply to
Bill

Plusnet in disguise ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I meant Plusnet were possibly the only one offering lower prices (call it a discount if you like) for exchanges with more providers.

Plusnet do, apparently it's now market A or B, rather than market 1, 2 or 3

Andy Burns

Oddly enough, so are we. They answer the phone pretty quick and have always been quite efficient.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes. They do admit that themselves.

One point that cropped up during a close study of their terms. No business use! and they will not issue a VAT invoice.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I was advised here to use Plusnet when I moved out of the Hull KCOM area which is great, BUT my first phone/internet bill was nearly £70!!!

Reply to
swldxer1958

For three months that's not unreasonable. BT line rental is £19.99 pcm and my PlusNet Internet is £10.99 pcm.

Reply to
Max Demian

My line rental is £11

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tim Streater snipped-for-privacy@greenbee.net posted

So have I. They offered a very good introductory deal, £20 a month for both line and broadband for the first year, reverting to £37 a month after that. The product and service is essentially the same as Plusnet's.

Reply to
The Marquis Saint Evremonde

So Idnet at £33 for line (PAYG) and broadband is pretty competitive?

Be intesrting to see what everyone DOES pay, and for what service..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk>, Jim K.. snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Just visited son (to look at problem with his garage) and asked what he pays.

He argued twice with Plusnet about prices and ended up with exactly the same broadband service as I have. So he gets the same 40Mb FTTC as I have for approx £37, as opposed to my £49. He initially had their lower speed FTTC, but that was what they increased foc in the second stage argue. He has a landline that works, but never uses it, so I guess he doesn't have the "free" calls service included in mine.

Obviously, I need to fight more.

Reply to
Bill