Challenge hedge trimmer from Argos, anyone got one?

I want a cheap and cheerful hedge trimmer. The Challenge mains one from Argos is only £18 and a bit. Does anyone have one of these or know anything about them?

(and please don't anyone say "You get what you pay for", it's not been my experience over the years)

Reply to
usenet

A neighbour bought one and returned it because it simply didn't cut properly - the stalks would get caught in the blades.

He thought the name was apt.

He's bought a B&D one and seems happy with that.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

OK, thanks, the B&D ones aren't much more. If I can get something reasonably functional in the region of £30 I'll be happy. My old B&D has just about given up the ghost, the gears are making a horrible noise for some reason. Disassembly and reassembly with nice clean grease hasn't helped at all. Apart from anything else the noise the gears are making offends my mechanical sensitivities (such as they are).

Reply to
usenet

Apparently Flymo ones aren't bad in that price range either. Another neighbour has one of their small ones and is pretty happy with it.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I've got a cheap flymo from B+Q, it's all right on tough privet. Beats the drill attachment B+D one anyway!

Reply to
Chris Hodges

No experience of the hedge trimmer but I bought two different models of Challenge jigsaw as an emergency purchase a while ago and they both had to go back. The more powerful one burned out almost immediately; the cheaper one couldn't be set to cut straight. At least with the receipt there's no problem getting a refund.

Reply to
mike

No experience of hedge trimmer, but I bought a Challenge cordless screwdriver (£5) , and whilst it hasnt got the best torque in the world, nor the best battery life it does do what its supposed to.

My general impression of the Challenge brand is similar to the Blackspur range of tools (which are made out of cheap and alas, malleable metal) : Okay for an emergency or light short-term use - but doubt that it will last the distance as probably wont provide the power or durability required for long term abuse.

In my opinion I wont buy challenge or blackspur producr again, and will pay the extra 10-20% to get a reputable brand instead.

J.

Reply to
JE

B&Q have a 450W/450mm/16mm one on their website for £35.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

No problem with ours apart from me cutting through the cable.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

Blackspur are far worse than Challenge, IMHO.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ