Chalet style house insulation.

Why draughty? That'd be one of the first things to fix.

The attic rooms of my house came with about 10cm of fibreglass wool between the roof tiles and sloping ceiling. Somehow the installer had managed to stuff it in there from the loft area. I felt it might compromise ventilation, and it didn't seem very effective.

The method I used was during a refit, with 50mm celotex foamed to the roof timbers, plasterboard over. Obviously a lot of mess and bother, but it's made the rooms very easy to heat and keep warm. A 400W heater keeps the temperature in a 6m x 4m room. at about 17C when it's freezing outside.

Probably of little interest to your pal . . . ;-)

Reply to
RJH

That is good advice.

Decent double glazing also makes a big difference.

The house I mentioned had metal, single glazed, windows when we bought it. Having modern, quality, uVPC double glazing fitted made a huge difference.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Brian Reay pretended :

I suspect rather than an actual draught, it is just cold air dropping out of fitted cupboard.

He has that. He said the installer struggled to work out how to fit them on the upper floor because of the weird design/ lack of depth between roof and wall.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

In message <r4a002$3qj$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, RJH snipped-for-privacy@gmx.com writes

Chalet bungalows often have wide soffits. Mine has 6mm ply slotted in to the vent strip. I cut sections out between the joists for access and screwed on an overlapped cover. With fresh paint it is not noticeable.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

While he has fitted DG, even a 'lash up' with clear polythene can make a huge difference. We rented when we were students and one place had huge windows which were terrible for heat loss. Senior Management, who is good with a sewing machine, made some lined curtains etc but even those struggled. I added some polythene in the winter which helped a lot. The CH was blown air, not very good, and expensive to run. Plus it was only 'piped' to a few of the rooms.

Reply to
Brian Reay

It happens that Tim Lamb formulated :

Good point I had not thought of, an access point via the soffit. I will pass that suggestion on..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

In message <r4aec3$497$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Harry Bloomfield <?.?@NOSPAM.tiscali.co.uk.invalid> writes

Further to the above. We have dormer windows in several of the upstairs rooms. I cut access doors in the internal *cheeks* and made insulated cupboards.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

COLD never bothered me anyway :)

Reply to
Grunge Whiffer

COLD never bothered me anyway :)

Weird. First reply to the thread is dated 51 years ago. I think this really

*must* be the record for the oldest post. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I was just wondering if it was a random post. I was going to reply Elephant Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Original Post.

Subject: Chalet style house insulation. Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 12:13:24 GMT

Second Post.

Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 12:50:00 +0000 (GMT+00:00) From: Jimk snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

If you're seeing 1970, that's the beginning of the Epoch for Unix. I'm not seeing that here. Perhaps that means a date conversion in some software on the way to your screen, has decided the info is out-of-range, and it has clamped the date to the nearest reasonable thing (the Epoch).

And your UserAgent is:

NewsTap/5.5 (iPad)

OS family Unix-like, based on Darwin (BSD), iOS

So then the question is, why did it have trouble converting the date ?

Too many gubbins on the end of the line there ?

The dates all look "normal" on my newsclient.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Before Usenet even existed, in fact. Abut the time the UNIX clock started though...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

PerhapsI should have made it clear that it?s the HOH website link that?s clocked up the date.

Follow this link and you?ll see what I?m on about.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Try checking on the website. That says 51 years.

Reply to
Bob Eager

But that is their interpretation of this.

Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 12:50:00 +0000 (GMT+00:00) <=== From: Jimk snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com References: <r48095$2ub$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me Subject: Re:Chalet style house insulation.

The JimK post doesn't have "Thu, Jan 1, 1970 12:00 AM" anywhere in the raw content.

That's why I provided the Howard links, so you could see for yourself that JimK did not post such a string.

All it takes is poorly coded conversion routines (that call perfectly-correct system routines), to screw up like that. Somebody did not check for an ERRNO before using the value. It's not some time-library making the mistake here. It's an applications programmer who is abusing the results of the conversion routines.

Every input you feed to that library, must have the inputs validated. In the JimK example, I would be giving the string a "hair cut" by removing the "(GMT+00:00)" part, which adds no value. The

+0000 next to it, already says that.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Of course he didn?t! It?s just a HOH f*ck up.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+