Chainsaw lessons

As usual you're being disputatious for the sake of it.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

My ignorance I mean!

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Ay? How was I being disputatious (if there is such a word)???

Reply to
Chris Green

I think Bill had another kind of limb in mind.

Reply to
Fredxx

Ah, the 20" bar, yup see what you mean! :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Well both would be possible with a chainsaw!

Reply to
John Rumm

None? So did he only take them down level with the top of the fence?

More likely strap on 'spikes' / 'irons'.

Wire strop.

Much quicker than a bow saw ...

Best place when chogging a tree down. ;-)

Chogs.

Std practice.

Have you heard of Youtube? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

So wasn't the tree surgeon a person?

Crikey.

Ok.

You can either lower the chogs down (slow, can be risky but often done when over buildings or breakable surfaces (like paving slabs, bowling greens etc) or just slide them off (or tip them over, depending on the height) the remaining trunk and either straight onto the ground (if it's rough) or onto something that will break the fall / spread the load if it's someone's fancy lawn, like a bed of brash (the light stuff you have already cut off), some thinner limbs or even some old tyres.

Daughter and b/f took a large ash limb off over a patio laid with Italian marble slabs and so they had to be *very* careful and lowered them down with a rope and flying capstan.

Daughter and I took down a fairly big conifer for next door and all of it was over her shed. It was one of those with several main trunks so we dismantled all but the last using it as a high anchor for the lowering rope. Then she took the top 1/3rd out of the last in one go with it tethered on lowering rope then chogged / lowered the rest down.

She was climbing and cutting, I was groundie and the Mrs was helping feed the chipper. ;-)

;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

Tree-fella-o?

But you said 'That neighbour had no access to the back yard at all for other than people.'?

Cutting a tree down to ground level over a fence?

<snip>

They can also bounce into things.

Ok.

Ok.

or try 'Port-a-Wrap' for a product name.

A 'capstan' is the generic term for something that you typically wrap a rope round to provide friction to allow something to slide under control (as in lowering a limb or chog) or for the friction to allow you to then use with a handle as on a boat as a winch.

They often use a twin double handed version of something similar on racing yachts often nicknamed 'a coffee grinder'. ;-)

<snip>

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m