CH System losing pressure

I have a potterton combi boiler. On noticing that the pressure had fallen slightly below the indicator level I asked a neighbour what to do (we all have the same system). He showed me how to top it up but at the same time managed to over pressurise it and it went into the red zone. He released the pressure again using what he said was a pressure release valve. Since then the pressure keeps falling and I am having to top it up every day.

Now I am wishing I never asked for advice. Is there something that I can do or is it a job for the professionals? It's due for a service next week but I would rather not have to pay out for a repair when it maybe something very simple.

Thanks

Angela

Reply to
Angela

Most likely some muck from the system is lodged in the pressure relief valve so is stopping it shutting off completely. Try operating it for a 1/2 a second or so to flush it. The pressure relief valve should be shown on the instructions which the installer ought to have left you. If not it can be traced by following the small pipe that goes through the outside wall,back into the boiler. The relief valve normally has a small (red?) lever which you lift to operate. You will have to re-pressurize the system to 1 bar when the CH is cold afterwards.

Reply to
BillR

Bill you are a star!

I looked at the pipe coming out of the wall and low and behold it was dripping. I found the pressure relief valve and did as you suggested - now I have no drips and it looks like the system is keeping it's pressure.

Thanks for saving me!

Angela

relief valve

through the

Reply to
Angela

Just about everything you never wanted to know about the subject is below on the last line.

Reply to
Ed Sirett