CH Sticking Zone Valve

Tends to stick on leaving boiler and pump both running even though timer and thermostat are both off. Honeywell 272848 Is it likely t be recoverable or is it a replacement job? Tends to work if I thump it.

Reply to
bert

All mine needed was the removal of the actuator, working back and forth of the stem with a pair of pliers, and careful reassembly. Your experience may differ, but it's worth a try. Good luck.

Reply to
Davey

Is the valve itself stuck open[1] or is it just that the auxiliary contacts are stuck closed.

If the former, remove the actuator[2] and rotate the spindle of the 'wet' part of the valve back and forth to free it. If that doesn't work, it's new valve time.

If the latter, you can replace the micro-switch, but it's a bit fiddly. Otherwise, replace the actuator.

[1] If the valve is stuck open, the manual lever will move freely with no resistance. If the gears whirr when you move the lever, the valve isn't stuck [2] Assuming it's not a very old one which gives you a flood when you do that
Reply to
Roger Mills

It moves freely

It's about 5 -6 years old.

Thanks

Reply to
bert

In message , Davey writes

Thanks for your help Will give it a go.

Reply to
bert

Sounds like the valve itself is stuck, then.

In that case, you'll be able to remove the actuator ok. Valves a *lot* older than that couldn't be taken apart without breaking the water seal.

If you *do* need a new body, there are some on Ebay for £15 with free delivery.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I've taken off the actuator. How much should the shaft rotate? About 1/4 turn in my case. Doesn't seem much.

Reply to
bert

That's all it needs between closed and open. Bit like a butterfly valve in a carburettor.

Was it stiff, and is it now freer as a result of working it? A few drops of WD40 round the shaft may be an idea.

Reply to
Roger Mills

It was a bit stiff and now free but when I put it back together the actuator then gave up the ghost. Maybe I hit it in the wrong place. New one fitted and now up and running.

Reply to
bert