CH or DG - priority?

Agreed, you can delay the windows for a few years. I used, as a temporary measure the stick on plastic film which you contract by using a hair dryer, it was very sucsessfull in cutting out draughts and reducing heat loss considerably, it also lasted a couple of years so gave me the chance to save some pennies towards the new windows.

Donwill

Reply to
Donwill

I have a piece of that film which has been up for 20 years now, and is still perfect. I did a very thorough job of cleaning the window behind and the paintwork around the frame which it sticks on, and that seems to have paid off. It's across the window over the front door. I have been careful to avoid damaging it when plastering and painting nearby, and its height means it's less susceptabe to damage anyway.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Fairy Nuff.

You think our windows don't have secondary glazing, draft proofing strip= s on the outer vents and the really bad ones the secondary glazing taped up? Without those "features" there would be no point in putting the heating on at all...

IMHO secondary glazing is a waste of money. I've had two places with it =

and the only consistent thing about it is that it makes outer timber frames rot. This down to the condensation you get in the gap, it's impossible to make that air tight.

As the OPs place stands at the moment the boiler works and is just a bit= noisey, probably cured with a good descale. But the windows don't work (as in keeping the wind out) and are causing a large energy loss. In our= case I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a 1000l/year (about =A3350) o= il saving by getting the windows done...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I agree. Also the new windows can probably be out-and-in within a day, whereas it's still a bit too cold to do without CH for probably several days.

And if the windows are done then that job can be ticked off as completed.

More prosaically, it gives time to save up for and book the heating engineer.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I dont know how bad they are, and whether theres the possible option of gouging out the rot and adding car body filler. Or the option of replacing only the rotten bits, since often its only the bottom rail and bottom ends of sides that go.

Fitting dg when windows dont need replacing is a waste of money, but if they really do its a lot less clear. While they save on heating, they also fail and need replacing, thus wasting time energy and money. Then again, you've got mostly dg already.

NT

Reply to
meow2222