Outdoor lights for nightclub

Hi there

I've had heaps of great advice on CH and plumbing in the past (and given some back too i like to think)... now i need help with my new business...

I'd like some advice on building a large sign, made of coloured lightbulbs, that spell the name of a nightclub that i run (in a venue which i hire once a month). The sign will be hung outdoors when it's dark, for approx 5 hrs, in a spot that the public can't reach, and above ground which is not used. The sign should be able to be seen/read from a distance of 100 metres.

My current thinking is attach light fittings to a 8' x 4' rigid board (painted black) and then run the cable indoors, using an RCD socket plug. The board will be hung from fittings already attached to the building.

I would like to be able to select my own colour of bulbs (pink and orange is what i need) and for the lights to flash in some kind of sequence (although a basic on/off would do). Also, for added effect, i would like to spell letters using double/tramway lines of bulbs.

Does anyone know of any bulb/cable lights on the market that i can use and adapt for this purpose?

Would i need to make something like this from scratch, and if so what bulbs, fittings, cables, etc should i use?

thanks in advance

Daljit

Reply to
Daljit

Even so, you have to be aware of the public liability risks associated with DIYing something like this, and, as it's a business, the Electricity At Work Regulations apply.

I would suggest strong weldmesh panels with an angle iron border, and make the sign out of ropelight cable-tied to the weldmesh. Use black tape to "black out" sections of ropelight not wanted to light, and waterproof connections to join the panels. This will facilitate having the panel in multiple sections to ease transport and erection.

Using readymade ropelight (I presume stage lighting suppliers can offer a variety of colours, custom lengths and effects controllers) would get round a lot of the electrical compliance aspects.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You might want to try sci.engr.lighting as there will be a number of good suggestions, and one of the contributors constructs custom displays for local councils.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You also need planning permission if it's big and it's illuminated. Shouldn't be a problem, depending on the neighbourhood. For example, in a historic conservation area it would be a definite no-no.

john2

Reply to
john2

Why not use 10mm diameter LEDs? Check out some of the prices for them on eBay. I bought 100 of them for £19. You cold work out the spacing and double row them.

3.3 volts so hardly a problem with transformers and fairly waterproof if you gave them a good seal on the back with silicon mastic. Plenty of good wiring experts at the local college that'll wire it up to your spec.
Reply to
..