CFL replacement for SES 40W

Has anyone found a good source to replace a 40W SES? I bought a 7W CFL SES from B&Q but it is too big to fit in our picture lights - too long.

Reply to
John

What sort of "SES"? Golfball? Candle?

I located a source (at a local market of all places!) of 5 or 7 Watt (I can't remember which) CFL smaller than a SES candle. I'm not impressed with the performance, but it does fit inside the shade!

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Reply to
John

You'll need a 9-11W one to match a 40W bulb. Use CLFs with exposed tubes no outer glass bulb where aesthetics allow, as you lose some light in the frosted glass.

IKEA seems to be a good source of small ones. Other than IKEA and the main well-known manufacturers, you can find rather disappointing life from the no-names.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

I have replaced some 40W BC candles with 9W CFLs and they are comparable.

Thanks for the tip, I will look in IKEA.

Reply to
John

Agreed though in our case it was SES 40W candles with CFLs from General =

Electric "Tech Extra Mini" 9W, TBX/XM, 480lm and 2700k so a good match t= o tungsten colour temperature wise.

They could probably do with replacing, they start rather dim (even for a= CFL) but once up and running are OK. They have been in use for the best =

part of 18 hrs day 365 days/year for 4 years or so, call it 25,000hrs...= B&Q have them, they aren't the cheapest at around a fiver a bubble but will =A31 Ikea cheapy last 5,000hrs?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice