cess pit caps?

A traditional septic tank relies on anaerobic digestion of the sewage.

Sound like the standard sewage farm, which aerobically breaks down the sewage. I would expect the sewage sludge to need emptying more frequently than for a traditional septic tank, but the outfall to be of a higher standard.

Reply to
<me9

Brilliant, Dave - thanks for that. Deffo a septic system here then, although (far as I know!) there's no power to it. I think I have a very badly-drawn layout diagram somewhere supplied by the people we bought the house from, but buggered if I can figure out where I put it right now... :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

A conventional septic tank needs no power provided that gravity works for you.

The first part of the now conventional process involves anaerobic digestion of the accumulated solids in the one or two tanks; that is bugs that work in the absence of oxygen and as part of their metabolism produce their waste products, methane and carbon dioxide and others. This process reduces the amount of solids accumulating. Normally this is followed by an aerobic part of the system where the liquid fraction from the tanks trickles through an irrigation system (grass plot or pebble bed) in the presence of air prior to the water being discharged to a watercourse.

Reply to
Clot