Central Heating Service

Hi people
We've had a gas central heating system for about 8 years now and it's never been serviced.
The missus is getting a bit worried (speaking to the neighbours) that it's a bit dangerous to leave it as long.
I think that an annual service is unneccessary and we should only bother to get it fixed if something goes wrong.
What is the point of a service ?
Any comments welcome.
--
vic

A lot depends on the type of boiler. Some old boilers tend to soot up and need cleaning out regularly. Some new hi-tech boilers need regular checking and adjustment to keep them working efficiently. The rest run for ever without being touched. If yours is one of those, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a good maxim.
The trick is in determining which sort you've got!
--
Cheers,
Roger

I've just had a look and it's a -
Worcester Bosch 24CDi COMBI boiler.
The thing is the missus got this local handyman to do some work around the house (he made a pretty good job of it) but told her he has friends & family for all our needs.
I'm one to wait until something needs fixing because I'm sure you waste money on insurance etc.
Any other comments welcome.
--
vic

So that would be your roof, drive, boiler and sewer all in urgent need of repair, then ...

--
geoff

On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 20:11:56 +0000, Victor Meldrew wrote:

That's what Roger so succinctly described as an "aint't broke/don't fix" type. As long as it's room-sealed (I don't think there were any conventional flue CDi-s, though I know there were of other W-B boilers of this period) I wouldn't expect it to need attention until something or other (e.g. the fan or diverter valve) packs up.
--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

While we are on this subject would anyone care to comment on the Potterton PrimaF LPG boiler, mine hasn't been serviced since it was installed 10 years ago. It seems generally happy, flame looks as it always has, very occasionally recently it has failed to fire up, pilot light comes on but that is all. Give it a 2nd chance and its OK, I'm suspecting the thermocouple that detects the pilot but as it hasn't become a major problem it has been left alone.
--
Bill

Yeah, I've never looked at mine (28i Junior) - installed just before the efficiency regs came in

There is no thermocouple, it has electronic flame sensing
Your problem is either
the pcb
the HT lead having broken (and yes it will still spark)
the HT electrode not quite being in the flame
bad earthing

--
geoff

writes

Thanks for that Geoff, the pilot is OK but it doesn't always turn the gas on to the main burner so it just sits there with the pilot burning, no idea for how long, is there a watchdog on it that would reset and try again or does it just sit there?. But I now know I don't need to look for a thermocouple. I have a general circuit somewhere but not sure it goes into detail on the PCB, having spent 30 years repairing electronics I hate to be a "board changer" much prefer to replace components. Cheaper too :-)
--
Bill

Especially from me
www.cetltd.com
but ... I was slightly too hasty there, the question is whether the spark keeps going or not when the pilot is alight
If it stops, then the pcb has sensed that the pilot is alight, if not, it hasn't
if it stops sparking then its pcb or loom to the main valve or main valve solenoid

--
geoff

Apparently BG did some data mining, and discovered that they are better off only touching gas boilers when they go wrong. So that's exactly what they do on their service contracts, they run the boiler, sample the flue gasses for CO? C02? (I'm not sure) and only take the cover off if the readings are out of spec.
If you really want to DIY I suppose you could get a meter and do the same, calling in a service man only when there's a problem. After all if it's running fine, as determined by the output gasses then there's nothing to do.
On 6 Dec, 21:06, "Calvin Sambrook" wrote:

... when any new faults they introduce are concealed by the existing fault
Owain
Calvin Sambrook wrote:

The Glowworm Galaxie back-boiler here has just celebrated its thirtieth birthday.
The only things that have ever gone wrong with it happened during servicing by BGas.
The last time they came, seven years ago, the chap held a smoke candle to the top grille on the gasfire, and despite his best attempts got a huge amount of draft to take the smoke away.
I forebore to tell him that we live on the top of a hill, and even on a day that appears still, you can hear the pilot light guttering in the chimney draught. I also didn't mention to this chap that the air inlet for the boiler is at the bottom, behind a removable fascia.
For some reason, I've never asked them back, and the boiler hasn't been 'serviced' since.
On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 16:18:12 +0000, Terry Fields wrote:

If that's the model I think it is that last one I saw was so sooted up I was surprised the owners were still alive.

Tell me you've at least got an electronic CO alarm at a suitable position in the room to warn you when lack of cleaning eventually catches up with the beast and it starts spewing out CO into the room?
Open/conventional-flued boilers are the one type I really do recommend really servicing annually or thereabouts.
--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

YAPH wrote:

Yes, two in fact, one being digital. They get regular tests and battery changes; I'm no fan of CO either.

We're dithering about getting a new boiler. The Baxi BBU might be a candidate, but I'd like a 'normal' DHW tank so it might not be suitable.
The only other practical place is in the (rather narrow) airing cupboard, and I doubt if there would be enough room for a DHW tank as well - and one would have to be mounted above the other.

Measure the CO divided by CO2, and if less than 0.004, they deem it OK as far as combustion is concerned. I don't know for sure, but I suspect they at least do a visual check for corrosion of the case, and a visual check on any case seals which can be seen without opening it.

Buying and running a flue gas analyser isn't cheap. (covered this in a recent thread).
There are other parts of the system which should be serviced too, such as flushing and replacing the inhibitor occasionally (just how frequently depends if it's vented or sealed, and for sealed, how often you top it up).
--
Andrew Gabriel

Are you giving the old boiler a proper service?
<http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/harman 's-husband-urged-to-shag-her-200908051955/>
Adam
On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 20:26:11 GMT, "ARWadsworth"

On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 20:26:11 GMT, "ARWadsworth"

Fair enough, I said any comments.
As a newcomer to uk-diy I'm glad to have sussed out the 'village idiot' so early, thanks.
--
vic

On 6 Dec, 20:32, Victor Meldrew wrote:

Nononono, Adam's the village sex maniac (and possibly not the only one)
The village idiot will be round with a hacksaw to call you a plantpot real soon now.
Owain
On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 12:47:29 -0800 (PST), Owain

Boilers being a euphamism for what ? The mind boggles !!
--
vic