Central Heating Problem

Hi There,

wonder if anybody can help, I am a total novice.

we have a back boiler, fire doesn't work (don't know why landlord sai something about the flue, but don't think that can be right as if i was the flue the central heating would not work) am I right in thinkin this?

we have 3 rads downstairs and 3 rads upstairs and a towel rail.

There is an overflow pipe that keeps dripping, that seems to stop for while when we run the ho****er tap, also when the central heating i set to off, and the hot water to on, the rads upstairs all get hot, an if we turn them off the rads come on downstairs, now I know this is no normal, any ideas why

We also have a power shower, and the landlord has put the dripping dow to that

any help would be apreciate

-- asante

Reply to
asante

Hi there I am a total novice, and would like some help please my proble

is

we have just moved into a house and have a backboiler ( the fir doesn't work the landlord says it is due to a flue problem, I don' think this can be right cos if it was then the central heating and ho water would not work either) am I right in my thinking please?

second, we have an overflow pipe that is dripping, The landlord pu this down to the power shower, put we have noticed that if we turn th hot tap on the dripping stops for a while. also when the centra heating is switched to off and the hot water is on, the three rads towel rail upstairs come on, and if we turn them off the three rad down stairs come on.

Any ideas what can be causing this problem

-- asante

Reply to
asante

The overflow is most likely from the cold water storage tank which feeds cold water to the hot water cylinder. Its probably the ball valve that needs some attention. Obviously when you run the hot water tap,the level in the tank drops and so the overflow stops. Your radiator problem may be caused by a faulty non return valve in the feed to the upstairs radiators,sometimes known as an anti gravitay or dumball valve.

Your landlord has a legal obligation to ensure that all your gas equipment it checked/serviced annually and should provide a copy of the landlords inspection certificate.

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUME>CONFORM>OBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.

tarquinlinbin

The Landlord.

Seriously this is the sort of landlord who gives all the others a bad name. The gas appliances have to inspected and certified as safe annually. The Landlord is obligated to provide you with a copy of the safety certificate. If there is a 'problem with the flue' then the appliance will have (should have) been turned off and labelled as unsafe. The boiler shares the flue with the fire.

A responsible landlords does things right and maintains things that way.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Basically, you should have a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate. If there was a problem with the flue, then the certificate would not be issued. He is probably committing a criminal offence.

A leaking ballvalve in the loft tank. Using water reduces the level below the overflow until the drip from the valve replenishes the tank up to the overflow level again.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle