central heating corrosion guard - is this a used unit (pics)

I just had a salamander corrosion guard for use in a central heating system delivered. It seems to be a used unit to me.
I queried it and was told they "are all like that".
Is that correct? The deposits in both ends of the thing look much more in daylight that in these pics - but the flaky plating is quite bad - not that that affects the functioning of course. I can see green discolouration and even some white on the threads which seems like limescale. Appreciate some expert yes/no on this. tia
Here are some links to pics of the unit:- http://tinypic.com/r/1zr2mbk/8 http://tinypic.com/r/nnru5i/8 http://tinypic.com/r/r2p8h2/8
On 02/10/2014 18:28, dave wrote:

My browser would display the pictures until I entered the other links on the page into the browser address bar
http://i58.tinypic.com/1zr2mbk.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/nnru5i.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/r2p8h2.jpg
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

Looks second hand to me.

(Well known) Supplier said, verbatim, "I can confirm that they are all like you have described, the green / white deposit is just from the mixture of metals.
Had another look - there is definitely verdigris in the nut threads and the unit is made of chrome plated brass. Also the business part of the internal nut threads have only a little plating left on them - can see the brass - as "wear" as if have been tightened up.
Think I'll ask for a replacement.
On 02/10/2014 21:19, dave wrote:

Mark the one you send back - they will just send you back the original as proof that they are all like that.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

UV pen?
--
Adam

On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 18:28:37 +0100, dave wrote:

Queried with whom? The supplier or manufacturer?
Does the device need wet testing? Any spannering marks on the corners of the plated nut? Probably wouldn't show on the olive nut.
--
Cheers
Dave.

The supplier. (emailed sales@ as was the only email I found)

Ah - don't know the answer to that.

Not as such - but there is failure of the plating (some "bubbling" on most all the edges of the nut surfaces adjacent to the weld to the body).

Right - there are no marks on either olive nut and they have a different finish to the rest of the thing.
I don't want to look a complete dork by accusing them of sending a used one - but it really does look as if it has been.
On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 22:33:18 +0100, dave wrote:

I was wondering about the blueing on the body. Plating and welding are not good bed fellows. If it had been properly installed I'd expect marks or "bruising" on at least a couple of the nuts corners.
I think your best course is to call the manufacturers or find an email address and maybe send the pictures with the query.
--
Cheers
Dave.