Cellulose thinners ban

Is there any truth in the tale I have just been told about products using aromatic solvents being banned from 2007?

The carpenter who rents a workshop from me got the story from his paint supplier. An issue for him is the problem related to using water based products in low temperature environments.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Cellulose thinners are not aromatic solvents they tend to be based on methyl ethyl ketone/ butyl acetate Paint thinners like white spirit are can contain aromatic solvents. There are rumblings afoot but I think the manufacturers are already ahead of the game so I guess there will be few practical problems

Reply to
Rupert

Most sold in the UK are, but I have seen solvent mixtures labeled as "cellulose thinners" with 50% toluene.

I suspect all that will happen is for toluene based thinners to be replaced with ethyl acetate/butyl acetate thinners.

Reply to
Grunff

Which is which.

One of them raises a bloom on car paint and is intended for cleaning the gun and for spraying parts not on show and other stuff.

Actually there are numerous varieties of paints all requiring their own special mixtures, depending on the environment the finished product will be used in.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Which is which.

One of them raises a bloom on car paint and is intended for cleaning the gun and for spraying parts not on show and other stuff.

Actually there are numerous varieties of paints all requiring their own special mixtures, depending on the environment the finished product will be used in.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Which is which.

One of them raises a bloom on car paint and is intended for cleaning the gun and for spraying parts not on show and other stuff.

Actually there are numerous varieties of paints all requiring their own special mixtures, depending on the environment the finished product will be used in.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Is there an echo here !!!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

No,no,no :-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

In message , Rupert writes

Ah. Exposed knowledge gap:-)

So what types of paint will be available post 2007? Are these likely to be water based?

Mains gas can be made available for his space heating but current practice is to operate at ambient with local heating for gluing or drying paint. Cost is an issue:-(

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Mate of mine in the automotive paint business told me most body bashers have already changed over to water based paints.

Dave

Reply to
david lang