Ceiling tiles

Our house has a flat roof which means we have no loft we could insulate. Our landlord suggests putting up ceiling tiles. He says you can now get fire resistance ones, anybody any idea where from?

Reply to
fido

Kingspan between the joists. Far better

Reply to
MikeS

How exactly do they get to the joists to put the kingspan in?

Reply to
dtechy

I've seen flat roofs insulated from above, using foam boards with a tarmac backing. Not sure how much you are willing to invest in this?

-- Jason

Reply to
Jason

Homebase

Reply to
Brass Monkey

Thanks for the info. I certainly won't be investing much in this as I am a tenant. I'll try Homebase.

Reply to
fido

Ceiling tiles are useless. Polystyrene insulation would be at least 50mm thick. Tiles are about 1/10th of that.

Reply to
Steve Firth

If you use polystyrene to insulate a roof (between joists and plasterboard) you need at least 2" thick to make much difference. Ceiling tiles are essentially the same material. But are so thin will make little difference.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Like I did, pull off old plasterboard and old shoddy insulation, cut insulation to size, fix firmly using expanding foam/filler where gaps show, re-plasterboard and a skim for good measure. Shouldn't cost more than £250 on average size room. Easily saved in bills over a few years. But then being in rented accomodation you have to weigh up how long you plan on living there.

Reply to
MikeS