Cctv able to read number plates

The real problem is the light source being in the same position as the camera. Very difficult to sort with a cheap setup.
--
*When the going gets tough, the tough take a coffee break *

On Wednesday, 6 June 2018 19:58:52 UTC+1, Cynic wrote:

ANPR cameras can be hired, eg https://www.mobilecctv.co.uk/anpr.php
although the cost may be more than buying one. Many police forces or councils have raplid-deployment relocatable CCTV cameras. Possibly if you involve local police liaison or councillors you might get them to put one near the hall for a while.
Or if you have a local security business with one they might give you a free loan.
Otherwise if volunteers can remotely access the cameras and keep an eye, on a rota, and call the police when something is happening, you may get a result.
Owain
On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 00:30:04 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

If the Poilce density where the OP is is anything like ours (at any one time around three officers inc PCSO's) for 100 square miles ish) even if they aren't involved in something else by the time they've arrived the boy racers will have moved on.
And as Mr Wright says getting a CCTV system that has the abilty to render number plates at night isn't easy. He misses out the the glare from head/tail/brake lights...
So if you have people able to keep an eye on the CCTV remotely, then wandering around when "activity" is spotted and using the Mk1 eyeball to get numbers, make, model and colour of the cars and passing that to the Police may be more effective. Even better if there are CCTV recordings that are good enough to show at least make/model if not colour (apart from "light" or "dark") and plates.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Wildlife/trail/ trap cameras are a nice self contained package. Some models can send images over the cellphone network though often at lower resolution than the one stored on the on board memory card. Most have an option to record a sequence of stills and/or some video. Others have low visibility black IR illuminators so they are hard to spot compared to the usual red glow which can be observed. Some councils set them up in known flytipping spots hidden a tree etc so presumably some models collect a good enough image of numberplates to be useful.
Prices range from about £40 for a basic one to around £500 for something at the top end. I have to say the one from Lidl a few weeks back though basic and with normal IR illuminators produces very good images for its around £80 cost that stand comparison to the more expensive Little Acorn I also have.
GH
On 06/06/2018 19:58, Cynic wrote:

The industrial estate where I used to have my factories had a professionally installed CCTV setup around the main gate. The whole area was well lit by column lamps, to give good colour images day or night. There were two general view cameras, giving distance shots in both directions. There were two cameras giving closer views of vehicles and, with luck, their drivers on entering and leaving.
The fifth camera recorded the number plates of vehicles entering. It was not ANPR, simply recording an image that could be retrieved later, if required. It had lots of problems until they fitted it with IR emitters and a narrow pass filter, matched to the frequency of the emitters. It was still never completely successful, but probably worked about 70% of the time. One result of the filter was that it only showed the numberplate on a black background, with no details of the vehicle. That had to be identified from one of the other cameras. I don't recall the police ever using any of the CCTV images in evidence, although they did sometimes view them if there was a break in on the estate.

Colin Bignell
That's given some useful ideas. We may be replacing a broken off gatepost s oon. A bit of heavy gauge box section with an artistic cap might be able to include a covert camera plus a motion sense light off axis to the camera s o no reflected glare. The light would give a reason to cut a trench for an armored supply cable. The trench could also contain a bit of cat 5 in a duc t to serve the camera. Since my first post I learned this evening the hall in the next village had a similar problem and installed high speed bumps which the boy racers lowe red suspension cars cannot cope with. We'll probably try that first 😁

I'd have a look at the Hikvision range of cameras, bought one to evaluate recently been very impressed with it for 80 odd quid. I believe they do a ANPR one and or the recorder that goes with it etc..
Have a look on Youtube, several demo examples on there..
--
Tony Sayer

On 07/06/2018 22:35, Cynic wrote:

Don't be tempted to overdo it. The DfT recommendation is that individual speed bumps should not be higher than 75mm, to avoid possible damage to ordinary cars.
If the car park is suitable, breaking it up into separate parking areas with parking kerbs will deny them the open flat area they want.
e.g.
http://www.kwikkerb.org/images/carpark3l.jpg

Colin Bignell
I've just been down to the hall in the next village to look at speed bumps they installed. The 75mm variant is what they have and the lowered suspensi on cars were seen arriving, trying to enter then going away (probably to ou r more accessible car park). Seems worth trying as a non technical method. A 3 metre strip across the entrance is available as a kit on eBay.
On 08/06/2018 18:26, Cynic wrote:

Put it down AFTER they have entered the car park.
--
Adam

On 08/06/2018 18:58, ARW wrote:

One way spike strip after hours would be better.
On 06/06/2018 19:58, Cynic wrote:

Its just a case of getting the exposure correct. To do so may be impossible with some cameras. The best way is with manual control so you park a car there and set the exposure so you can read the plate.
Of course this means the rest of the field of view will be pitch black which is why multiple cameras are used.
You could try moving the IR source away from the camera so it doesn't reflect straight back but watch the shadows as they will lose detail.

It's not. Having the light source - in this case infra-red - beside the lens means it reflects straight back into the lens.
--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.*

If the IR illumination and camera were perpendicular to the number plate I would agree, but that would be unlikely. The only other issue is with snow/rain/fog where there is significant local reflection.
The contrast between white and black on a number plate is significant, it really is a question of getting the right illumination and correct shutter speed.
Some illegal number plates try and filter the IR wavelengths to reduce the contrast, but they are still readable in the visible.
I might be more tempted to use white or yellow illumination, which would also act as a deterrent.

Car number plates reflect light from more than one direction.
--
*Filthy stinking rich -- well, two out of three ain't bad

By law the letters shouldn't, nor should any coating be added to make the letters retro-reflective. So the contrast should be huge.

But reflecting the light source straight back down the lens also gives you a problem with auto exposure. Not much point having a picture where the only thing you can see is the number plate.
--
*Modulation in all things *

For Cynic's purposes the solution might likely to be more than one camera. One with exposure specifically to capture the number plate, and another to see what was going on.
There are cameras than can cope with a huge dynamic range, but they're not cheap.

That's the problem with many solutions. Not cheap enough.
--
*The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Which is the point of retroflective number plates. AIUI, the problem is avoiding other light sources from reflecting off the outer face of the plate. That is why they fitted a filter matched to the wavelength of the IR emitters to the number plate camera on my industrial estate.

Colin Bignell