Cavity Wall Insulation Yes or NO

As the price of heating has increased, I have started to think about Cavity wall insulation again. I have previously been put off the idea due I always thought that you needed the air gap to prevent damp, therefore filling the gap with rock wool may cause damp.

Does any body have any ideas as to the problems that can occur ?

As it does seem a no brainer as it will only cost about 200 pounds and this can be saved in one year.

Reply to
gary.holt

| As the price of heating has increased, I have started to think about Cavity | wall insulation again. | I have previously been put off the idea due I always thought that you needed | the air gap to prevent damp, | therefore filling the gap with rock wool may cause damp. | | Does any body have any ideas as to the problems that can occur ? | | As it does seem a no brainer as it will only cost about 200 pounds and this | can be saved in one year.

Every bit of insulation I have ever installed has paid for itself many times over in years.

Foam insulation still looks good after ?30? years, with zero problems, damp or other, in c50 year old semi.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

i'd recomend it. my 1950's semi was done 6 years ago and the difference it made to the heat retention of the house was very noticable.

steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

| snipped-for-privacy@talk21.com wrote: | > As the price of heating has increased, I have started to think about | > Cavity wall insulation again. | > I have previously been put off the idea due I always thought that you | > needed the air gap to prevent damp, | > therefore filling the gap with rock wool may cause damp. | >

| > Does any body have any ideas as to the problems that can occur ? | >

| > As it does seem a no brainer as it will only cost about 200 pounds | > and this can be saved in one year. | | i'd recomend it. my 1950's semi was done 6 years ago and the difference it | made to the heat retention of the house was very noticable.

What happens is that the inside skin of the wall gets warm, and when the central heating switches off at night, the inside skin of the wall radiates/convects heat back into the room. This works better with old heavy breeze blocks than with the more modern lightwieght cement blocks.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

The Rockwool that was blown into my semis cavity walls was allegedly coated to prevent water tracking across it.

Dave

Reply to
dave stanton

I happily paid £ 600 and have had it done in every house I have lived in. It makes a huge differance to the comfort and heating costs in the property with no signs of damp at all

Reply to
IAN

Yes, but do it properly.

It makes a lot more difference than you might think, assuming of course that you ahve the ventilation and draughtproofing under control FIRST.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The ones you normally hear about are often the result of poor workmanship. Not managing to get a complete fill so that you are left with uninsulated cold patches that then cop for the bulk of the condensation etc. There have also been some cases with people having adverse reactions to some of the chemical foam type products that they used to use. Not heard of many cases like that recently however.

Reply to
John Rumm