Cavity wall insulation - Ecologistics

Hi all

Been think about getting our cavity walls insulated for a while and tonight we got a knock on the door from a company that is doing this.

They gave all the spiel about government grants etc and end result is that they will do the 3 exterior walls for £149. I'm very tempted but before I give the final go ahead are there any pitfalls I should be aware of when having this work done. Also has anyone had any experience of 'Insulate Your Home Ltd' they trade as 'Ecologistics'

In case it matters we're a 1970's end of terrace 3 bed house in Surrey

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
JimM

I had an exact same situation last year, different firm. I paid about £200. Excellent job, made a huge difference to the heating bills & comfort levels.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've no idea about the specific company but we had this done last year

- =A3100 in our case - and despite being concerned there was something untoward, everything went fine and I think (it's not exactly easy to know for sure) it's made quite a difference.

Reply to
GMM

I would say get some more quotes, not from the point of view of finding something cheaper, but to make sure you get the views of some other companies. Personally, I would tend not to buy from anyone selling this sort of service at the door. Try to get a recommendation from a neighbour or friend.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Never heard of these klods but we got ours done last year:

1) If you have an open fireplace or IIRC a log burner in a room or a gas fire, they'll insist on making a hole in your wall to let fresh air in. They'll ignore any tasteful sliding air vent you have in e.g. the floor. So, if you want to avoid this, block off your fireplace even if only with hardboard. But make it look permanent. 2) They'll also put edging strips around any loft vents you have.

From what the geezers said to us last year, they are supposed to do (1) and (2) as a condition of getting the gumment grant. Again, that's IIRC, but you may want to check if they propose to do either of these.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Good stuff followed. Another one is if they get a bit "ethusiastic" blowing the fibres you can also end up with a loft full as well...

Bit of annoying mess rather than anything else but something you could do without, particularly if you have anything stored up there.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In my daughter's case they started but after taking out an air brick noticed some wiring in the cavity. Apparently the surveyor was supposed to have done trial holes and used an endoscope to check first. The fitter said he couldn't accept any liability for *any* damage that occurred after that, so wrapped up and left.

And yes they were going to fit air vents for the two ( currently unused) chimneys.

I still haven't decided how to get around this problem.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

The KEY thing here is to ensure that the product is removable (ie the operation is reversible). Forget any form of setting foam for this reason. it can be blown in rockwool, polystyrene type pellets etc etc Fixed foam has a tendency to allow bridging of water

Chris

Reply to
chris

And if they forget to check beforehand, they may drill through the only single skin section of wall and fill your electricity cupboard up! Fortunately, as it was blown fibre, cleaning it out was no problem.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker