Cavity Wall Insulation - Any Disadvantages?

The time when it is a real problem is when the insulation does not completly fill all of the wall - either due to obstructions in the cavity, or sometimes from the filling slumping over time if it is a loose fill. Then you end up with a well insualted wall that has a few very cold spots. This concentrates much of the condensation in those spots.

Reply to
John Rumm

We have no such spots. I doubt that it happens often.

I don't doubt that you'll disagree though :-)

Reply to
Mary Fisher

So have them inject it from the inside. It just means you'll have some holes to fill and paint.

NT

I suggested that, they would not do it. The insulation company is Miller Pattison contracted by my energy supplier EDF. I was going to get it done for £3 a month for five years too. I have come to the conclusion that if you are getting it done through your energy supplier at a discount, cost is everything and the slightest problem or extra cost they don't want to know.

Anyone know who will do cavity wall insulation on a 3 bed semi and is not afraid to climb on a garage roof?

Ron

Reply to
Ron

It might be nothing to do with cowardice but more about their insurance restrictions. When we had the gutter fitted Spouse and a son did the work over the carport because the boss (who we knew, used to be at school with our daughter) said that it wasn't worth contravening the insurance rules.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Why should I disagree?

I will take your word about not having cold spots - I am sure spouse would have told you by now if that were the case ;-)

As for installation problems, I would guess that you are right and it does not happen often - most people seem content with the result.

Reply to
John Rumm

How about:

John Rumm

My house was done lithe foam so cold spots due to slumping are impossible because the foam stands upright without support.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

See this thread:

Doctor Drivel

You usually do disagree with me :-)

He's the one with the cold spots! But at the moment he's sleeping on the sofa bed after his surgery. I'm looking forward to restoration of normality!

That's generous! Nothing is perfect. I don't know about most people but I haven't heard any complaints. Most of the houses in this street have been done this year, it seems that neighbours have recommended it to others. We've been trying to do that for years - but it's much cheaper (or free) these days and I suspect that's been the clinching point.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

vaccum.

Someone's gong to make money from others' irrational fears!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No I don't! ;-) (is this the five minute argument?[1])

[1] non TV viewers may have missed:
>I will take your word about not having cold spots - I am sure spouse would

How is the recovery going by the way?

Yup, you can't argue with the price.

Reply to
John Rumm

He's almost 100%. Been gardening today and grumbling just like he used to do about the shredder not working as well as he'd like and where had I left the shovel no you didn't leave it near the compost bin I've looked there well you didn't say behind the compost bin ...

I think the worst thing now is the re-growth of belly hair. It irritates him so, being the generous soul he is, he has to share the irritation :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Sounds just like home ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Good!

The trick is to cut the stuff and leave it for a couple of days to dry out a bit - shreds much better then IME... (a sacrificial bamboo cane is also better than the supplied push stick)

Reply to
John Rumm

It has probably been done on stage as well many times - events like the secret policemans ball etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

I hate bamboo canes. I use steel rod, topped with champagne corks. The right size hole is drilled. It's a great use for the corks.

But some of the stuff had been left for a week, trouble is, it's not been drying weather :-(

If it's still there in a couple of days I'll cut it with secateurs, straight into the compost bin.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I think I must have heard it on radio.