Cavity wall insulation

Wow! For one day's work and £100? of materials

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I didnt realise you lived in a mansion.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Does sound very expensive. Our neighbours had this done a while ago and it was nowhere near that sort of loot...

Reply to
tony sayer

I don't think you even know what the term means.

Reply to
harryagain

You know you can hire the machine and DIY for much less?

Reply to
harryagain

/ You know you can hire the machine and DIY for much less?/q

For foam?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

/ You know you can hire the machine and DIY for much less?/q

For foam?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I just used an old hoover (with polystyrene bead).

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Not quite, but it is a largish 4 bed house plus 4 room annex.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

/ You know you can hire the machine and DIY for much less?/q

Indeed, I didn't know hire kit was available for injecting foam. Even if it is the grant will probably outweigh the saving and hassle of DIM.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Not when you're being asked to pony up £2484 as per the OP

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Just had a quick look at DIY options.

Kits are for sale @£560 per kit and a quick calculation suggests I would need at least 3 kits so that's £1680. Then there would be the hire of scaffolding as one wall would be impossible to reach without. Add to that the materials to tube 14 air bricks.

Take into account my time and the risks associated with working at heights, and the fact that I'm not an approved installer so no grant, no guarantee, no certification when I come to sell the house.

£2484 now doesn't sound so bad!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Polystyrene bead's much cheaper, but has lower insulation due to the air vo ids. I suppose in principle you could mix the 2, inject bead then foam.

Can you not inject from inside? It would avoid a lot of brick damage.

Can you not use foam?. Inject it around, let it set, come back to do the wa ll.

Just a case of comparing costs. Granted work doesnt usually work out cheape r IMLE.

What is there to go wrong later? Guarantees on lots of one product arent wo rth much in practice. If a company has a significant run on them, it closes and restarts.

Why would you need it? Show pics of the work, receipts for the materials, a nd bills before & after.

How long would it take to do the job? I've not done foam cwi.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Its the air that insulates. the solid bits conduct much better than the air.

Reply to
dennis

Yep. And the air trapped in foam insulates much better than airgaps between beads, because its not free to move.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Not as effectively if it's allowed to circulate.

How is it going to circulate, with close packed beads the gaps are so small you need a lot of pressure to get much flow. In may case there are no air gaps except at the top of the cavity so air flow will be negligible.

Reply to
dennis

The whole point of putting foamy products in cavities is to reduce the slow airflow, thus much cutting heat loss. Sheet expanded polystyrene insulates better than bead because it has foam where beads leave gaps.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Air *voids* were previously mentioned...

Grant now up to £4,900!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike