Cavity wall after 1983?

I find it hard to believe that enough of your lost heat was going through the walls, and that two layers of bricks is all that different to 2 layers of bricks + insulation.

Now how much did it cost to install?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Exactly, useless cowboys. I they where any good they wouldn't be faffing about on the low fixed fee installation schemes.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

So the taxes the government are stealing aren't even saving anyone any money?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

In effect only one layer of brick, the cavity would be ventilated.

Why don't you look at some U value tables? The insulation would be improved by a factor of around three or four. Astonishing such ignorance these days.

Reply to
harryagain

Another assumption on your part. You're good at assuming things you have no facts about.

Reply to
harryagain

Depends how well ventilated. It certainly won't be cooled to outside air temperature.

I prefer experience. U value tables don't tell you where the heat goes in the average house.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

You see that bit where I said the house was of non standard construction. That means that it is not made out of two layers of brick.

£100 - but it was a backhander. I saw some guys fitting cavity wall insulation and waited until their boss was not there and then asked them if they did jobs on the side.
Reply to
ARW

There are no vents into my cavity other than the open gap at the top of the walls.

Reply to
ARW

Indeed, otherwise the cavity would be pretty pointless. I assumed all houses had a tube through from the outside to under the floor.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

What is it made out of?

Ahhh! But why didn't you get the government to pay for it out of other = people's taxes like most do? Or was this before they started stealing o= r money?

-- =

"I'm prescribing these pills for you," said the doctor to the overweight= patient, who tipped the scales at about three hundred pounds. "I don't want you to swallow them. Just spill them on the floor twice a= day and pick them up, one at a time."

Reply to
Uncle Peter

What is it made out of?

Breeze on the inside and concrete blocks on the outside. The block are very thin apart from at the edges.

Ahhh! But why didn't you get the government to pay for it out of other people's taxes like most do? Or was this before they started stealing or money?

I would not be eligible for free insulation. Even with a subsidy it would have cost mre than £100

Reply to
ARW

That's pretty normal isn't it? My parents' house is like that (which I = think is newer than my 1979 house). Dunno if they've got cavity insulat= ion, but I'm sure most of their heat goes up the fireplace chimney.

I thought everybody was eligible for free insulation?

-- =

If debugging is the process of removing software bugs, then programming = must be the process of putting them in.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Do they use the fireplace?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Every evening of a heating-related time of the year. My dad likes fire and spends quite some time building it correctly :-)

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Should put in a wood burner. Get much more heat and much less draughts.

If not, then at other times of year block chimney with a chimney balloon.

Reply to
Tim Streater

No ... there was a requirement for a minimum uLevel of heat loss, but no requirement for cavity fill.

I built in 1984 and used inner & outer skin of Heatlite2 blocks - no cavity fill.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

started

Naw you had to be a pensioner or in receipt of certain benefits or something, it certainly wasn't available for everyone.

I think the rules have changed now and there is the "Green Deal", but that's a loan not a grant/subsidy.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

dennis

Indeed, my neighbour didn't pay for it or the loft insulation and he's o= n a reasonable income. I don't know if it was British Gas.

-- =

An optimist thinks this is the best possible world. A pessimist fears this is true.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

If you build your own, does anybody check? It's your heating bill after all.

Reply to
Uncle Peter