Cavity Wall advice

To put that into some context, when I worked on military IR surveillance kit in the late 80's some of the thermal sensors designed for avionics use had a thermal telescope on the end of them - all "optics" machined from germanium, and if memory serves a mildly radioactive coating applied to the interior surfaces. They started at £150K for the smaller ones!

These systems were higher than SD video resolution in the thermal band - basically using highly polished video line synched rotating polygons to project and scan the image onto a fixed SPRITE detector.

False colour seems quite popular in the consumer space, but never really seemed to be of interest for military or avionics. (you have a choice of black hot or white hot, and could adjust the gain and offset (the functional equivalent of contrast and brightness))

Reply to
John Rumm

Not just cost, export controls start getting tricky when exporting higher resolution/framerate models that could be used for military purposes.

We have a Flir One gen2 at work - it works reasonably well. Worth noting that the older gen2 Flir One has a higher thermal resolution (160x120) than the current gen3 Flir One (80x60) - basically they renamed the $200 One to the $400 Pro (160x120) and then released a worse $200 new model. Buy an old one if you can.

What's nice about the Flir One is there's also a spot temperature measurement you can bring up, to give you a numeric reading. I don't know the accuracy (don't have means to measure surface temperature to calibrate it) but it seems reasonably good.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Do you go munro-bagging in a string vest and plimsoles, Rab C Nesbitt- style ?.

Reply to
Andrew