Caustic Soda

And this is where natural selection comes into play. If someone really can't tell the difference between a bottle of drinkable lemonade and a bottle of sodium hydroxide, probably kept in the garage or shed, they really are best out of the genepool.

Irresponsible indeed!

Like hell you are.

Reply to
Grunff

AYOTB?

Reply to
Steve Firth

25kg sacks are supplied in polythene and will form a solid lump if stored outdoors because of moisture. The sacks do not degrade in any way. I would like someone to tell me how this stuff could be distributed and stored if this were not the case.
Reply to
stuart noble

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:24:04 -0000, "stuart noble"

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Could be worse

Andy Dingley

Mary Fisher wrote (but ballsed up the attributions):

Rubbish. Paraffin wax makes up the vast majority of candles, and it's what most people expect.

be snipped-for-privacy@thai.com! Shop all amazing products and get our special offers!

Reply to
jerrybuilt

Take it to e-mail.

Learn how to quote properly.

be snipped-for-privacy@thai.com! Shop all amazing products and get our special offers!

Reply to
jerrybuilt

It is irresponsible. It is good advice not to store such things like that. Young children, for instance, won't know what caustic soda, garden chemicals etc. are, but may well know what a lemonade bottle looks like, and be able to undo the top. They will, of course, realise that something is wrong after a good swig.

be snipped-for-privacy@thai.com! Shop all amazing products and get our special offers!

Reply to
jerrybuilt

Will probably regret asking this, but why is it used as a dpc/dpm material then?

Reply to
John Armstrong

Because it's cheap, and it's reasonably impermeable. Buildings get rained on anyway - there's no point in trying to keep them _absolutely_ dry. And lots of those membranes are PVC anyway, if you're expecting one side to be exposed to saturation.

Look inside a bag of crisps - aluminium metallisation. Look at a telephone cable - aluminium foil wrapper inside.

Andy Dingley

Caustic soda also causes huge explosions in ng responses too :-) Intrestin' thread though. So say I buy some of this stuff and use it to clean the drains. how would I get rid of the unused amount? Tip it all down the drain? The message seems to be not to try and store this stuff in the first place.

Reply to
dave

Indeed.

If the original criticism is serious the poster should have been educated proper, So there!

We can all play the 'should' game.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes. Then add lots of water.

Its fine as it comes from the shop. In an airtigfht plastic container with a childproof lid and lots of orange poison and hazard signs on it. As a crystal.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Andy Dingley writes

Want a photo ?

Reply to
geoff

Do you think you could separate this from your posting, like putting it in your sig or something ?

Reply to
geoff

Put it in a plastic bag and hang it in a child's bedroom :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

Well, quite.

Reply to
stuart noble

Perhaps with a high power UV light to make it glow?

Reply to
John Armstrong

And some sharp knives so they can beat the lot like a pinata.

Reply to
Suz

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:44:09 -0000, "stuart noble"

My walls are rather less affected by a little damp than a sackful of caustic.

Andy Dingley