Cat flaps that work with ID microchips chips

Any recommendations for one?

Two cats and the owner wants no aliens in the house.

Reply to
ARW

There was someone who used to spam newsgroups with such a product sometime ago. So not a recommendation no matter what that is.

I'd go DIY, some sort of two-factor authentication.

i.e. 1. machine learning, so that what looks like a cat is identified as being a cat, 2. having a microchip.

A laser to vaporise subjects that fail that would be a natural upgrade.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I fitted a Sureflap about 10 years ago. It's remarkably good - no complaints.

Reply to
David

We're perfectly happy with the SureFlap Microchip Cat Flap we installed last year - and so is the puss!

Multiple cats are no problem - it caters for up to 32 should any expansion be envisaged!

Terry Casey

Isn't that a dichotomy? ;-)

The real pity / problem is that any owners let their companion animals out unmonitored. About the only exceptions I can think of could be pigeon racers and tortoise owners?

A local friends neighbour had a dog and the dog suffered because they don't know how to look after pets.

So they got rid of the dog and got a cat and now their neighbours suffer instead. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
+1 for the Sureflap microchip cat flap, programmed for both our moggies and has not let a stranger in yet and some have tried!

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

The Sureflap ones work well in wooden and glass doors but I had problems in a uPVC door because of the metal inside the uPVC sections.

Reply to
nothanks

the reviews I read say nothing but problems. Delays in responding, noise when opening spooks the cats, electronic control only works one way, cats need to be trained to use it... buy with caution.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've had 2, the first one lasted about 8-9 years.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Yes very funny, I somehow that the cost and the military grade laser might be prohibitively expensive!

You can get readers for the chips, but I do not know the range. I'd look at those and see if they generate a signal of some sort. I saw something a couple of years go on Country file where a farmer had an automated cattle sorter that used rfid to move a metal grille so certain animals went one way and others the other way.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Is it mains or battery powered, ie if the power fails does it still operate? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's been mentioned here before, but someone did one with pattern recognition so that "cat" is admitted, but "cat+mouse" is not admitted.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Flo-Control

Reply to
Bob Eager

That was the one.

Someone else has done a more recent one with Muck and Findus

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I can't remember how well it discriminated against the raccoon?

Reply to
Andy Burns

About 10 years ago I decided to buy a microchip cat flap after I kept getting other cats visiting though my standard none ID chipped flap, after I installed it I put a webcam up to check everything was working. I have seen a fox try to get in too.

My first video got attention and someone from the company "bitcoin james" (asked me if it was their flap which it was. They asked me if I'd allow them to have the vid for advertising purposes, I allowed them that and that they could use a clip in an america programme on the animal planet channel called yuor pet wants this. For that I recuieved a £100 cheque and a new version of the flap free which was stronger so I replaced mine with the new version.

As I've been paid for advertising I don't mind saying that my catflap was the Pet Porte 'make' I've no idea whether others are better or worse.

My present cat is an indoor cat never wants to go out. The flap is still in the door but I have a fire extingisher up against it.

this show how persistant some cats can be.

whisky-dave

Cats are almost impossible to monitor they aren;t just pets they are animals and you can't order a cat top do something it doesn't want to. You may take it to a voting booth but you can't get it to vote the way you want it to.

I've had foxes at my cat flap and one next doors dog, which was taken away from them as they couldn;t loko after it.

I've yet to here of a cat killing a child or severly injuring them. Makes you wonder why the police train dogs and not cats doesn't it ?

I wonder if cats/dogs are left or right brained. Dogs appear more stupid and are more inteligent generly speaking of course.

Reply to
whisky-dave

That can be a problem for some cats.

you can turn the bleep off.

Rubbish, you can set it in many ways, even depending on time of day, well on my one. Handy if yuo donl;t want you cat going out at night or whatever.

Try downloading the manual and read that before buying to check if worried

So do humans, if a cat can use an ordinary flap then it's liklely to be able to use a microchip version.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Mine had a PP3 backup battery for such occasions.

Reply to
whisky-dave

No, really, good job you told me. However, I wasn't really talking about the pet but their 'owners'.

<snip cr*p>

As it should be. Shame the same doesn't apply to the owners of cats who allow their 'pet' to trespass (and defecate etc) on other peoples property. Whilst such may not be illegal, it *is* as antisocial as not picking up after your dog or allowing it off the lead without being 'in control' or to bark incessantly etc.

But then you don't really consider things that don't support your blinkered cause do you? Never heard of toxoplasmosis?

It might make you wonder but it wouldn't make a sane person wonder.

If they wanted something to jump up onto the food preparation surfaces and walk all over their droughts I guess they could get a cat?

I'm sure you do (as it's completely illogical to wonder if there was likely to be a bias in 'all dogs') ... If they experience brain lateralisation (and there is no reason why they wouldn't) then there is a good chance that they would experience the same things / issues as humans do.

Both dogs and cats lick themselves clean but I don't think that would be appropriate for test tubes. They can probably train Monkeys to do that though.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m