Cat Deterrents

Can anyone comment on the success (or otherwise) of strategies to prevent cats fouling their garden. Is there a DIY solution to this problem?

The ultrasonic devices I have seen on the internet range in price from about £16 to approx £45 anyone care to pass on their experiences with these devices? is price related to efficiency? Is it possible to build one of these devices?

Ditto chemicals, or cat deterring plants?

Ditto rubber spikes on fences?

Ditto any other non-harmful methods?

Any constructive suggestions welcomed.

Don

Reply to
Donwill

Get a cat of your own. It will deter others and crap in sombedy else garden.

A super soaker

see

manatbandq

Always remove the droppings as I believe the smell encourages them to use it regularily.

Placing thorny cuttings such as holly or pyracantha over the area is effective.

They don't like getting wet and you can get movement sensor type devices that go on the end of the hose and give everything that passes a soaking. Not sure how practical though as the hose pipe would have to be on all the time and if plastic might burst. Probably also expensive.

Tom cat smells on concrete or paths can be mitigated by watering with a very dilute Domestos solution (should not be used on soil) and may be effective at deterring them as they don't like the smell of it.

Roger R

Reply to
Roger R

Fox terrier?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

1 ounce of #9 shot travelling at 800 fps.
Reply to
Huge

you not the garden

Reply to
Nicknoxx

Yes. Buy a cat.

However keep in mind that while dogs have owners, cats have staff.

They are not very effective.

Not an ultimate deterrant but can be used to make it less attractive for a cat to take route A vs. route B.

Reply to
Andy Hall

News for you.... some do and actively seek out and play in water.

A very dilute solution of Jeyes is also effective.

Reply to
Andy Hall

lion poo

roybennet

For the sake of those of use who can hear them, please don't bother unless your garden is very isolated!

Reply to
jg374

Typical student. You SHOULD get out to more rock concerts!!

:-)

-- Adrian

Reply to
Adrian C

I'll put 50p on the cat to win.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

What'a worked for me is a garden gate, really. I used to have this problem with 3 out of 4 neighbours having cats (one has 2 cats). I made sure there were no holes in my fences, all gaps were boarded up and I got a 6 foot gate to fill the gap between the house and my garage. Now I have a clean garden. All the cats are too fat to jump the fence and have no other ways in. I don't think it's the ultimate deterrent, but by making it harder to get into my garden, they've taken the lazy way out and now crap somewhere else. However, I believe that if everyone around here rasied the heights of their fences so I became the easiest target they critters would probably learn to pole vault.

Now if I could only keep the herons off my goldfish pond ....

Pete

Reply to
Peter Lynch

=============================== A cat would see them off.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Were you like this as a child?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Heron aid?

Reply to
Andy Hall

You need a deterrent. Get a cat. ;-)

Reply to
PJ

In article , Peter Lynch writes

The moggies around here (which seem to be breeding) can easily scale a 6 foot fence, so that is not an option.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

Get a super soaker (filled with water obviously) and wait for the cat. Once youve hit him a few times he wont come back ;)

a nicely harmless deterrant and can be fun! (and i speak as a cat fan!)

Reply to
Tom Woods