Carpet under skirting board

I'm decorating a small room 6' x 7' to use as an office. It has a concrete floor and will be replacing the skirting as I have to box in some pipes. I'll be using some carpet tiles and wondered if I put down the carpet first, then fit the skirting board on top, I wouldn't need to cut the carpet exactly . The tiles would only go under the skirting by about a quarter inch so could be pulled out if necessary. Although it sounds like I'm trying to get out of doing a neat job, am I likely to encounter any problems? Is it ok to lay carpet tiles directly onto concrete?

Dave

Reply to
David

I wouldn't if I were you. For a start, it's dead easy trimming carpet tiles to fit exactly; much more so than with normal carpet - google this newsgroup for the exact method (as I did myself about a year ago!). I just don't see you saving any time doing it your way.

It's a 'messy' solution too; OK you can pull your tiles out again, but what happens when they are worn out and you want to replace them, and the new tiles are thinner/thicker?

I think most, if not all, carpet tiles are intended to be laid that way; they have solid rubber backing in place of using underlay. That's how i fitted mine.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Not a good idea!

Carpet tiles need to be a tight fit against the walls - or whatever - or they will start moving apart when you walk on them. Skirting board is far more likely to present a decent straight edge against which to fit them than is rough plaster/unplastered brickwork.

It's very easy to cut carpet tiles to fit against a straight edge, using a sharp Stanley knife. Where you need a partial tile, lay a whole tile upside down, with one edge against the wall - and overlap the previous tile over it. Use the previous tile as a guide for marking the cutting line. Take the tile up, use a steel straight-edge to guide the knife along the marked cutting line, the re-lay the tile the proper way up.

Reply to
Set Square

Thanks for the replies. The point about butting up to the skirting board to prevent movement is a good one. I'll wait until I get the skirting.

Dave

Reply to
David

In message , David writes

Double sided tape laid in a grid is useful ~(doesn't need to be all the tiles

Reply to
chris French