Carpet Cleaning

Hello
What is the best d-i-y system for cleaning domestic carpets? Any recommendations for specific manufacturers and is it best to buy or hire?
Many Thanks Jeff
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 22:22:02 -0000, "Jeff"

Either hire a proper machine from the booth in many supermarkets or buy a "George", machine, it is very good. Avoid the "Vax" type of machine.
The real secret is the washing solution used. Some of the commercial stuff is magic at shifting dirt. There is a thread somewhere in here on this topic.
On 21/11/2006 23:24 EricP wrote:

As others have recommended Vax, I'd be interested to know why you wouldn't.
Not a troll, just a genuine request for enlightenment from someone who is in need of a decent cleaner for carpets and upholstery.
TIA.

Because all it really does is vacuum up a solution it lays. It doesn't scrub the carpet in any way. So you'd be better off doing it all by hand - and use a universal wet or dry vacuum to remove the excess moisture if needed.

--
*7up is good for you, signed snow white*

But they do lift a lot of dirt along with the solution (just look at the water afterwards! Pretreating heavily soiled areas from a hand sprayer and leaving it to soak for a while is effective. The head has a rubber squuegy type piece that is effective at working the solution into the carpet if you use a back and forth motion.
MBQ

That may be so but it's far less effort to get down on your knees and use a sponge or brush. A full Vax doesn't move easily.
--
*The statement below is true.

Eh? It's on wheels and all you have to move most of the time is the head on the end of the flexible hose.
MBQ
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

A full vax moves just like any other upright hoover. Not sure what model you've been using, but it sounds very different to what I've used.
Hand washing is not effective, I've tried it in the past. It lacks the pressurised delivery and the strong suction, so it cleans nothing but the surface, doesnt get the dirt out, just moves it to the bottom of the carpet, and so on. Hand cleaning only cleans the surface, which is better than nothing but not comparable to a carpt cleaner.
NT
F wrote:

AFAIK Vax make two types of carpet cleaner, a tub type & an upright type.
The tub type attempt o use the pressure/extraction principle but use a gravity feed instead of a pressure pump. That was the case anyway. They simply don't have enough solution pressure to clean carpets deep down.
The upright type use the same principle pressure/extraction, but again no pump mentioned in the spec.
The Henry 'George' does have a pump, but is relatively low pressure low volume. 1 bar @ 1 litre/min IIRC. Professional machines will have at least 5 bar @ 3 litres/min. Deeper penetration, more flushing action, better cleaning.
Not knocking the George, for small areas where time isn't a problem it will do a pretty good job.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

I found they're OK for frequent use- they keep dirt down - but once the carpet's dirty to start with they're not much good. They just squirt cleaning solution in and suck it out again, there's no scrubbing or agitation.
--
Skipweasel
Guy King wrote:

2 of you have said that, but its not correct. Best to choose one of the Vaxes with contrarotating brushes, as it will scrub in 2 directions not 1. Pressurised solution delivery is the most important point, machines without that are poor.
A Vax is not going to give you the higher pressure delivery of a pro machine, but they're still pretty good and will clean loads of stuff over the years, so a Vax may be the better choice in real life.
NT

It is with the one I borrowed. Useless thing. They might make a better one but I'll not bother finding out if they can produce rubbish like this.

--
*The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Here you go, 2nd hit: http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-4462.aspx dual scrubbing bars, pressurised delivery, hose & hand tools as well as upright hoover type working. Effective, simple, reasonable price, does carpets and upholstery. Not a pro machine but quite ok and should clean lots of things for years.
I'd stay away from the bladder tanks some mfrs use, they will perish if some types of cleaning solution are used in them.
NT
Guy King wrote:

On a technical note, a high pressure solution pump (3 to 7+ bar) does provide a high degree of mechanical agitation - but more importantly it also provides the flushing action required to actually remove the dirt.
The spray in/suck out idea (known as spray extraction) is a continous process.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
Jeff wrote:

Hi Jeff
Having spent many, many years in the cleaning industry, I'd reccommend that you hire a Rug Doctor http://www.rugdoctor.co.uk/index.htm
You can hire these and buy the chemicals sale or return at Homebase & other stores - their site has a rental locater.
The Rug Doctor uses a system known in the trade as 'fast extraction' which gives a really deep down clean, is easy to use and gives quick dry times.
I have no connection with the company whatsoever.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Doesn't matter, you're a trades person not a DIYer so your input is invalid. (insert smiley of choice here)
--
Skipweasel
Guy King wrote:

Nice one! :-)
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Seconded - it's a heavy machine, but the vibrating brush and decent spray plus reasonable extraction means it can shift almost anything - I use it to fix my house on a regular basis after toddlers/babies have ikked/dropped food/walked mud everywhere and it works. Sometimes difficult bits need some spot cleaner applied - Homebase supply this too along with the shampoo.
HTH
Tim

Yep, great machines. Bit of a bugger to use in our small hall way due to its size but it still did a good job.
Found it was a fair bit cheaper (>30%) to hire from Morrisons instead of homebase if you have one local btw.
Darren
Thanks for the responses... Jeff