Car screenwasher fluid

Frank Erskine wrote:

I love the smell of meths! Reminds me of those little stoves we used when I did my Duke of Edinboroughs Award camping & stuff.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
Frank Erskine wrote:

I use a few drops of washing up liquid to clean greasy smears.
And of course substantial IPA as an antifreeze. It still freezes of course, and makes you feel sick and have a headache on long runs when there is a lot of shit on the roads..rather like the potable IPA (India Pale Ale) in fact. Hmm..
Add pictures here
βœ–
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember ChipMonk

Holy shit! They certainly know how to charge.
Add pictures here
βœ–
to say:

Apparently pharmacies are (officially) no longer allowed to 'make up' medicines for 'H&S' reasons, so it's no good asking your local 'chemist' to 'make up', say, a cough bottle - they have to rely on commercial manufacturers to supply the finished product. This is why it's very difficult to buy 'interesting' chemicals such as saltpetre, citric or hydrochloric acid, flowers of sulphur, caustic potash, potassium permanganate or carbon tetrachloride from such suppliers - it's all part of the nanny-state syndrome. Fortunately there are several 'old-timer'-type "chemists" who, if you get to know them, can or will (somehow!) get some of your requirements. It's certainly no use asking in the pharmacy section of Sainsburys, for example :-)
--
Frank Erskine

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 13:28:18 +0100, John wrote:

I buy 5l Holts High Performance Screen Wash concentrate from CostCo (£3.87(*)) and dilute at 4:1 water:wash which doesn't freeze to below -6C.
Even though the reservior on my car holds 4l it still lasts about 9 months before running out. That 5l of concentrate is just about to run out now, I don't see much "waste" there and having a fairly potent brew in the summer deals with the fly splat better than weaker "summer" mixtures.
(*)Jan '06 price and is green, all I can find on a quick google is blue stuff. Maybe it's no longer available but I haven't noticed it missing in CostCo.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 20:10:10 UTC, "Dave Liquorice"

Got the same (well, blue) stuff from CPC this week for Β£4.14 inclusive.
βœ–

I got one from CPC a few years ago. Was watching the UPS delivery progress on the web, when it suddenly changed to "burst package, returning to sender". I had visions of a UPS van somewhere, with everyones packages floating in a pool of screen wash concentrate...
--
Andrew Gabriel
βœ–

CPC are the kings of crap packing
light bulbs and reels of solder loose in the box for example
Hand cleaner tub which burst
etc etc
--
geoff

Add pictures here
βœ–

Had that one.

And that.
Hard disk loose in big box. One fluorescent tube in layers of bubble wrap with a label on it - bent in the middle on delivery.
βœ–

Yeah - I could have gone on, and on, and on ...

That was to make it fit in the box

--
geoff

Add pictures here
βœ–

If they'd bothered with a box...!
βœ–
wrote

I've had items that would have survived a nuclear blast and could have been sent in a Jiffy bag delivered in a large box with the world's total stock of bubble wrap.
--
Alan
news2009 admac myzen co {dot

Indeed.
Had that one, if you substitute the reels of solder for a burst box of D-cell batteries. The powdered glass was running out of the box corners as you picked it up.

Had to do an order a couple of weeks back. 4 sealed lead acid batteries (12V, 7AH), and 2 coin cells. I was amazed, given that there was no longer a bottom attached to the box, that all the parts were still in it.
--
Andrew Gabriel
βœ–
On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 22:36:54 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

An order from Toolstation didn't arrive, 'phoned the next morning: 'damaged in transit'. I had to laugh, as the only item that could be damaged was a 5li can of white emulsion! White van man - inside job!
Next day the box arrived. Can in heavy plastic sack sellotaped all over then in bubblewrap. Air bags on top but underneath just the metal friction hinges and the fairly flimsy box. The can was a bit dented, but it's v. thin metal. Packers are at the dim end of the illuminations.
--
Peter.
βœ–