Car battery charging current.

Unless you are desperate, keep an eye on the special offers by ALDI and Lidl. Both offer clones of Ctek smart chargers every now and then for about £15, a fraction of the Ctek equivalent price.

I have an Aldi one and bought my son in law a Lidl one. They are functionally much the same and do the job.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Which are obligatory for the fast charging of lithium batteries but I have never seen one for a lead acid.

Reply to
Fredxx

Are you seriously suggesting that the internal fan is switched on and off by a temperature sensor strapped to the battery?

If so, that would be a first.

Reply to
Fredxx

All of which are intended for a lithium battery.

The last link even mentions suitability for a CX Series, which is a Lithium Ion rechargeable battery.

Reply to
Fredxx

Not the other way round, Charles? Most pulleys I've seen are steel pressings rather than castings.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What are you on today? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Fast chargers - the type a garage will have on a trolley - do measure battery temperature.

No need on a domestic one. Few would have the space to store a very high output charger. Let alone the need for one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They are used on the trolley mounted fast chargers you'll see in a secondhand car dealer's lot. But never seen a domestic car battery charger with one. A large domestic charger might have a peak output of 15 amps or so, and no need for a sensor at that sort of current, which will regulate down as the battery charges anyway.

Wonder how a 150 amp car alternator gets away without sensing battery temperature? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Exactly as I said. Ford competition grade was a casting.

Reply to
charles

I suspect for a battery in an air flow its not so critical. What I have noticed is charging voltage as per my instrument cluster reduces alternator voltage on a hot day. I wonder if the alternator has an air temperature sensor.

Reply to
Fredxx

Seems odd. A casting is rarely as strong as a pressing, like for like.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Many are well out of the airflow these days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite essential in places like Finland and Sweden, but possibly a tad overkill for large parts of the UK.

Reply to
Andrew

The heated 'throw' that I use when it gets nippy but not enough to mess about with the heating has 6 settings where 6 is fast warm up, and it does, very quickly.

It is only 100 watts.

Reply to
Andrew

Hope you have been starting it and running it for 30 mins every week or so.

Reply to
Andrew

Isn't there a setting so can disable stop-start ?.

Sometimes it is more trouble than its worth, depending on your usage.

Reply to
Andrew

+1

Intelligent idiots, who are convinced that world will collapse when they are no longer here. Graveyards are full of them and the world just carries on.

Reply to
Andrew

Ever had a car with them?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Like, in the boot.

Reply to
Andy Burns

No, I've been following the manufacturer's instructions and disconnected the battery

Reply to
charles