Can you seal a joint with glue ???

The reason I ask is that I have got a joint in my new shower that I cannot get water tight.

There is plenty of PTFE tape on the thread but water slowly seeps through.

Is there a product that I can smear round the joint, without breaking it, that would seal it.

I can isolate the water as I had the foresight to put isolation valves on

For instance, and don't laugh at me

Superglue, No Nails, instant gasket.

Or even silcone sealant, as I have a fesh tube of that

Any help would be gladly welcome as I'm looking a burke to the misses .

Thanks in advance

Reply to
john Smith

What sort of joint is it? It sounds like you should either have an olive on it or a washer.

Can you stick a picture of it up anywhere?

Reply to
EricP

You want Liquid PTFE. I believe Loctite make it. You will need to turn the water off for a few hours to let it cure, but it is designed for this kind of sealing.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

Screwfix part no 12693, costs a fiver. I have an earlier version and it is good on plastic fittings subject to vibration (like shower pumps). However as the other posters suggest it might be wise to look for the root cause (especially as you have isolation valves).

Reply to
Newshound

The reason I ask is that I have got a joint in my new shower that I cannot get water tight.

There is plenty of PTFE tape on the thread but water slowly seeps through.

Is there a product that I can smear round the joint, without breaking it, that would seal it.

I can isolate the water as I had the foresight to put isolation valves on

For instance, and don't laugh at me

Superglue, No Nails, instant gasket.

Or even silcone sealant, as I have a fesh tube of that

Any help would be gladly welcome as I'm looking a burke to the misses .

Thanks in advance

Forget external sealing methods - break the joint and apply liberal amounts of boss white or similar jointing compound- remake the joint and water seep should cease. Regards Pete

Peter Stockdale

Fernox LSX is the bees knees for most leaks

Reply to
Alex

Which is basically silicone sealant (without the fungicide that most sanitary silicones have). Use the silicone that you have to hand if the joint is on the inlet to the shower, between your incoming pipework and the inlet of the shower. (Pedantically, you shouldn't need to and you should find out how to make the joint properly, but if the silicone doesn't work you can always peel it off again and do the job properly.)

Reply to
John Stumbles

As you have no idea what type of silicone he has,how can you advise him to use a product that is not intended for the purpose of sealing water joints,and will almost definately breakdown in a short period,maybe not a disaster in a shower but in a bath or sink tap connecter,well thats asking for trouble big time.

Reply to
Alex

Why have you got PTFE tape on the thread? You only require PTFE round the olive on the side of the mating surface.

Reply to
Dave Jones

Fernox LSX cures in wet conditions too

Reply to
PM

You don't use PTFE on compression joints.

Reply to
EricP

What?

What do you use it for then??

In theory you should not need PTFE on compression joints, but it saves all the hassle of having to redo the joint when the cooling and heating cycle has slightly loosened it.

Reply to
Dave Jones

No it isn't its more like superglue. Its got me out of serious problems more than once. In one case a header tank for 6 flats was seeping around the outlet. A smear of that and its been fine ever since, and that was 8 years ago.

Reply to
Old Bill

Of course people use it - why else do you think they get leaks 8-)

Reply to
Andy Dingley
[PTFE tape]

In domestic water plumbing, fairly little - compared to a field like compressed air. Tape is used for a tapered threaded connection, where there is a compressive force across the thread.

In a "compression" joint the seal is a knife-edge seal into a ductile metal (olive to pipe) and a coned compression joint in metal (olive to fitting). Neither of these will benefit from tape and for the knife edge it would be a disaster and almost guaranteed to leak. _If_ the seat or the olive are already chewed up, then a soft tape or hemp filler might make the leak less bad than bare metal, but the real fix is to replace the chewed components and give a smooth seat, not to bodge it. A compression joint also has a nut and you can apply sealants to that where you like - although they're not going to leak anyway.

In a parallel threaded joint, then it's a bad idea to try and seal on the threads. You can only do this with an adhesive compound, not just PTFE, and that makes the joint hard to dismantle in the future. You should use the face seal washer intended. If you don't have a washer, then use Plumber's Mait and hemp fibres - it'll work better than PTFE, for a large gap with a small compression load.

You may also use PTFE tape as an anti-seize measure on some fittings or threads, but don't do this on the fitting to olive seal of a compression joint or you might cause more leaks than you're trying to avoid.

If you _do_ have a leak somewhere, then an Oyltite stick will serve you better as a bung than trying to get PTFE to seal it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The Fernox LSX they have on my planet is so similar to clear silicone sealant that it if it didn't say Fernox LSX on the expensive little tube I wouldn't know the difference. It's also quite different to Earth superglue - if I were being uncharitable I'd suggest putting a bit of each on your fingers (or maybe keyboard) and seeing how similar they are :-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

The OP said he had silicone sealant. All the silicone sealant I've come across (though I admit I'm not an expert on the stuff) is waterproof when set and stands up to water at temperatures less than superheat pretty well. I've never come across any that breaks down in water.

The OP said it was for a shower.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Reply to
EricP

In a "compression" joint the seal is a knife-edge seal into a ductile metal (olive to pipe) and a coned compression joint in metal (olive to fitting). Neither of these will benefit from tape and for the knife edge it would be a disaster and almost guaranteed to leak.

Agreed on the olive, but vital on the thread. Olives don't always seal perfectly with the best will in the world and PTFE on the threads acts as a backup.

I work with hydralic fittings all day, up to 250 bar water pressure and I've heard the "you shouldn't need PTFE" argument over & over.

Any threaded connection, olive or not, benifits from PTFE - which is far superior to any jointing compound.

Dave

Reply to
Magician