Can someone recommend me a drill bit set?

I'm looking to replace my ageing combination drill bit set - a real cheapo no brand set but it's served my DIY needs well. Looking to spend no more than =A340. However, I note that most of these sets these days just play a numbers game "190 bits!" all mostly never to be used screwdriver and socket gadgets, and basic things like a 10mm masonry drill bit missing (which, looking at my existing set, has had a surprising amount of use, yet isn't present in most sets today). I'm also not clear what the latest technology is. It used to be Tungsten Carbide did it not - now, many sets don't even mention this.

Any help appreciated, before I buy the biggest set possible from the market.

Reply to
keiron99

I dont have a clear answer for you. I've been disappointed by brand named large sets, so would not go that route again. I'd also question just what you need, as do-everything sets never match what it is I want.

I'll also suggest a type of bit you cant buy, which I make much use of: general purpose bits that have been reground to steeper cutting angles for wood only use. There are 2 big plusses with these. The main one is they go much faster and more easily into wood, making hard going work into easy work and tripling battery charge life. The second plus is theyre quickly and easily made from knackered old drill bits, thus obviating the need to buy new bits at all. I grind mine on an angle grinder, which is fast and effective (though has some caveats for this kind of use).

I would be asking which type of bits are wanted first, there are many choices now. Lip & spur are good ready made bits for wood, but not as good as the reground bits. The old TCT bits for masonry have had their noses put out of joint by SDS masonry bits, which AFAIK are always TCT, and are way more effective than the old hammer drills.

Mostly I've got sets of one type of bit from reputable suppliers, and found them usually ok. I even had a set of ok lip & spur bits from poundland, good enough for softwood use. If youre brave enough to splash out =A33 at poundland, check theyre ground the right way before buying, and accept that a couple will be duds, spending =A33 on bit sets there can give quite a number of usable bits, and may avoid the need for a new box set. I'd stay well away from their masonry bits.

Another type of bit I can recommend is lefthanded bits. These either bind into screwheads and unscrew them, or else drill the head out. Dont use them often, but each time I do its worth the price of the set.

HTH a little. Maybe not. But it might help if you told us what types of bit specifically you needed to get.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

[...]

PS screwdriggers, avoid. Sound good but made so wrongly theyre no real use.

Reply to
meow2222

I can't believe that you have worn out every bit in your existing set evenly and don't understand why you would want to buy another set. Buy the best you can afford of the bits you actually use (i.e. the ones that are actually worn out) to replace the bits in your existing set.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Hmmm...I don't actually believe I said that...

That's probably good advice - but I just thought I'd be done with it though and replace the lot and get them in a nice caddy. I think I'll just keep an eye out on the "bargain" shelf at Buy & Queue.

Reply to
keiron99