Can I remove the adhesive?

Lidl have bathroom hooks (for towels, etc) on sale here later this week, which are attached - presumably to tiles - by adhesive. I'm wondering if that adhesive is likely to be removable using an appropriate chemical, without damaging the tiles?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Not if it's the stuff they use to glue wine labels on bottles.

Thinners, petrol, surgical spirits, and soda seem unable to shift it :(

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Lidl on occasion do a label remover which smells of citrus. Works very well on most of those things. Sort of peel off the backing and stick sort of glues.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Got a new bathroom suite last year, I tried all sorts of solvents to remove the manufactuer's QC labels, seeing something else prompted me to try rubbing in some plain liquid hand soap - worked a treat.

Reply to
Paul Herber

Ever thought of water?

Reply to
harryagain

A bathroom hook stuck on with water solvent glue sounds just the ticket, harry.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That would be my first port of call too (assuming it is a solvent based adhesive).

Reply to
newshound

He could be hydrophobic

Reply to
The Other Mike

When I installed the new bathrooms ... there were stickers on every piece of chinaware ... and they wouldn't budge ... bought a bottle of "Sticky Stuff Remover" (that is what it is called) worked superbly, can't be sure it works on all glues ... but did label glue a treat. If it didn't work my next step would be acetone.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I have always found white spirits good once the surface of the label has been removed.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

The reference is to wine bottle labels. Try to keep up! :-)

Reply to
harryagain

You meam mad? Surely not!

Reply to
harryagain

The original post was about hooks to use in bathrooms. The wine labels are not the problem under discussion by anyone exceot Jethro. Do keep up.

Reply to
John Williamson

Suffering from Rabies, maybe? That used to be known as hydrophobia, as that was a main symptom.

Reply to
John Williamson

Me too

Once it has been shown that the glue isn't water based, I have never failed to get a sticky label off using it

tim

Reply to
tim.....

RS sell it as well: works on most adhesives IME.

Chris Bartram

I very much doubt anyone on here would need advice on how to remove a label from a glass bottle or jar. Except perhaps you, harry.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have found the Lidl one works better than the RS one at work or other makes I have tried. As well as having a nice lime smell.

Reply to
polygonum

When All Else has failed I use "Ronsonol Lighter Fuel" If it is glued or gooed Ronsonol has always worked for me

Reply to
10FingersAnd10Toes

Yes - it's very good. Luckily I bought some and found that so went back and bought some more. ;-)

ISTR label remover from the likes of RS is pretty costly too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)