Can I Convert a electric recliner chair to manual recliner?

I would not think that it would be possible as, while the motorised mechanisms are relatively simple, the good manual ones are designed specifically for the characteristics of the chair - ie does it have a foot rest, if so is it required to operate independently of the back rake; does it have brake or does the mechanism allow the chair to be positioned just moving the body.

Cannot say that I blame them. I tried motorised recliners when I first decided to get one over 30 years ago there was not much available but I quickly decided that the motorised chairs were poor. I bought a Norton recliner which was an amazing piece of kit, incredibly comfortable, which lasted 28 years before the mechanism was so worn that I had to get out of the chair to adjust the rake.

When I looked for a replacement I shopped around for ages - the only decent motorised unit was around 1500 from J Lewis (quiet with a good range of adjustment) and the best of the manual chairs was quite good other than the cover was only available in leather and the so-called 'zero-gravity' mechanism needed to be tweaked by me to get it really comfortable when the foot rest was up but the back was in the vertical position.

Reply to
rbel

I don't know if they still do it, but LaZboy? used to guarantee their product to the original purchaser for life.

Reply to
Capitol

[...]

Hi Chris, Mick the original poster here.

I found a new fairly cheap motor on the Internet (sorry cant remember where now) fitted it and all worked ok, then the pivot of the rise arrangement sheared off I found some small right angle metal strip and drilled and fitted it. And all is still working now still. Mick.

Reply to
Mick

replying to The Natural Philosopher, Bbraver wrote: Can a motor be added to a recliner?

Reply to
Bbraver

Hi you may convert but your recliner chair design will be changed learn here how to fix recliner chair mechanism

shahjamalseo
2011, has he still got it?

I would personally suspect the motor might well still be around and just might need some adoption. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com brought next idea :

They are a simple enough mechanism, just a reversible motor and many will use the same mechanism and motor, either mains motors, or 24v ones. I doubt they lend themselves to conversion to manual use easily. You would need some means to replace the motors rotation, with a cranking action using the existing screw thread.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

the motor is of course geared down, so the crank handle goes on the low speed side.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Perhaps it didn't have an 'otter thermostat to detect the stall current ?.

Reply to
Andrew

The German zero-stress chairs have DC motors driven by a transformer, which can be replaced by a battery pack.

Not sure what weight limit is imposed by the manufacturer but Germans are not generally small people.

I would try and use a 12 volt battery to see if the motor does anything.

Reply to
Andrew

Yes i just did it to 2 leather chairs. The electric motor and pistion attached the the chair mechanism.turn the chair over So that you can see the very bottom of it. Then carefully remove two side of the staples and flip it back. Like peeling a banana. You can ask O just take the whole thing off the bottom Wont see it anyways. There's Cotter pins that hold the motor to the mechanism in the Front and in the back. Once you remove the mechanism that opens and closes that share it'll just open and close like any other recliner. The mechanism weighs about 10 pounds. It whether just pushes that share open and closed and once it's been disattach and pulled out you can just sit in a chair and leaned back and flip it open and close it just like a regular . You don't need a hand on the side to be able to do any those things.

Reply to
bigalsession

replying to Mick., Alan Session wrote: Yes you can just flip the chair over and is attached the motor assembly is usually a Cotter pin. I just converted to leather chairs I should take you about 30 minutes and Chair. Just pull the Cotter pin out and take out the mechanism in the chair war just like a regular chair. The chairs are assembled from the bottom side suggest remove the cloth its cover It. Have you removed from Three sides you can fold it back and then re stable I

Reply to
Alan Session

Latest information here Learn How to Fix Recliner Chair Mechanism Like an Expert How to adjust an office chair and more

Shahjamal Hossain

I'd imagine it very much depends on the design though. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Right...don't know how we got on cars and drugs.

Reply to
Wild70schild

No come to think of it, if you don't quote nobody has the xxxx idea of what has gone before after all this time.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Same with your posts Brian, where you don't lift the thing you're answering to the top to lead on to your own comments.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Thank y'all for the Post just remove the electric mechanism push back and relax works great thanks

Reply to
Keywest

How old is this one. Actually many chairs are made as both manual and electric and the guts are mostly the same. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa